Apologies and good luck

jayjello

Still Fresh
Hi all,

i've been following the Pandora since way back in 2008 and felt it was an amazing idea when i first heard of it. Although i don't know much of programming myself, the portable pc in my pocket concept was very exciting. I preordered one in late 2008 for around £200 and crossed my fingers that it would arrive before December when i headed off on tour around Italy for 6 months (i'm an actor for my sins)

Sadly as everyone knows it was not to be, and in mid 2009 i had to cancel my preorder due to the joys of poverty (life of an actor!).

Since then i have been following the pandora story with constant interest, but from a more detached point of view. I'm in awe of such a small group taking on so big a project, and it saddens me to see you all (creators and customers) having 'to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.' It's really important that things like this succeed and are able to weather the troubles that all companies have dealt with at their inception.

This is the first time that i've written here, on around the 3 year anniversary of my visiting this site. I confess the current pandora no longer holds me in the same awe as it did back then. The almost doubled price and (my personal feeling) need to know how to tinker under the hood to get the most out of it have meant i've finally decided to duck out of this iteration on the pandora.

My plan is to invest in a raspberry Pi at the very actor friendly price of £22, and try to learn some arm based programming skills on it, in preparation for the pandora2! I'm definitely NOT saying raspberry Pi > Pandora, just that i currently have £22 to spare!

If you read this far, well done and thank you. There's little point to this, my first post, but i've seen so many bitter departures, and misplaced resentment over the last two years on here. I simply want to state that whilst after 3 years i've decided that the pandora isn't a fit for me this time round, my belief in what the project is about has only grown, and i hope future investment allows it to take off and do proper justice to the effort and vision shown by its tireless creators.

In conclusion? Shine on you crazy diamonds!

How i wish, how i wish you were here.

The Pandora really doesn't require any/much tinkering under the hood to get it working properly, it's more like, you CAN tinker under the hood as much as your heart desires. All the basic usage you expect from the Pandora, is easily doable and works very well for what it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand where you're coming from. I know what it's like to feel the pinch... I lived in debt for many years. I even had to budget for basic toiletries like toothpaste! I've grown so used to not buying new clothes, everything I own is old, patchy, or stained.

I can understand how the Pandora can seem to be expensive, what with all these more powerful 'alternatives' available today. I have one of these alternatives - a dual-core android phone.

Let me tell you that if I had to choose I would pick my Pandora over my Sensation without even thinking about it. I long for the day my Pandora returns from RMA land... In my opinion it is the most valuable thing I own: It does what it promises to do and does it really well.

The truth is that while it appears there are plenty of alternatives out there, there actually aren't any.

There's little point waiting for the Pandora 2. The current Pandora isn't actually outdated, in spite of the forward march of technology. There are many many years of life left for this wonderful device.

I personally couldn't bear to wait for the Pandora 2 to be developed... How long do you think that's going to be?

Also, I'm no techy and I got along fine setting it up... With a fair amount of help from other forum members. I wouldn't let the Pandora's 'hands on' requirement dissuade you. Ask Scooby Doo... I don't know anyone who had a harder time getting his Pandora set up... But now he loves it so much he owns 3!

If he can get through setting up a Pandora, anyone with a little patience will be able to.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

My plan is to invest in a raspberry Pi at the very actor friendly price of £22, and try to learn some arm based programming skills on it, in preparation for the pandora2! I'm definitely NOT saying raspberry Pi > Pandora, just that i currently have £22 to spare!

Wow, i think i'll get one to build custom based HTPC Box..

Hi all,

i've been following the Pandora since way back in 2008 and felt it was an amazing idea when i first heard of it. Although i don't know much of programming myself, the portable pc in my pocket concept was very exciting. I preordered one in late 2008 for around £200 and crossed my fingers that it would arrive before December when i headed off on tour around Italy for 6 months (i'm an actor for my sins)

Sadly as everyone knows it was not to be, and in mid 2009 i had to cancel my preorder due to the joys of poverty (life of an actor!).

Since then i have been following the pandora story with constant interest, but from a more detached point of view. I'm in awe of such a small group taking on so big a project, and it saddens me to see you all (creators and customers) having 'to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.' It's really important that things like this succeed and are able to weather the troubles that all companies have dealt with at their inception.

This is the first time that i've written here, on around the 3 year anniversary of my visiting this site. I confess the current pandora no longer holds me in the same awe as it did back then. The almost doubled price and (my personal feeling) need to know how to tinker under the hood to get the most out of it have meant i've finally decided to duck out of this iteration on the pandora.

If you read this far, well done and thank you. There's little point to this, my first post, but i've seen so many bitter departures, and misplaced resentment over the last two years on here. I simply want to state that whilst after 3 years i've decided that the pandora isn't a fit for me this time round, my belief in what the project is about has only grown, and i hope future investment allows it to take off and do proper justice to the effort and vision shown by its tireless creators.

In conclusion? Shine on you crazy diamonds!
Perhaps SYD BARRETT wallpaper for the Pandora then?

No need to apologize, as with many things it's the fans that have kept this project alive (don't rely on my statement of it; the OP team has posted this sentiment many times).

The 'double' price is what the Open Pandora costs to make plus, I assume, some profit. I imply that the prospective discount for preorders was a project starter and nothing more. It costs what it costs now because the price before was an incentivized discount, and the Pandora 2 if it ever happens isn't that likely to be cheaper. This isn't Apple. You don't have an X-million unit sale guarantee when a product model gets advertised. These are some creative and clever folk backed by unpaid devs and likely some other aid of genius that have put an heroic effort into ALL the jobs normally spread across various departments of major companies like Apple. Please always keep this in mind.

The history aside, I know I'm not alone in saying that the price IS worth it. Also, no programming is required, unless you want to help the developers. ;)

That said I think it is nice to see another original fan post here. I think the Raspberry Pi is a very reasonable (but not comparable) alternative for mobile computing.

Back