Anyone Tried The Vista Public Beta?

Axeman

Axemeister
Website
Visit site
Got bored today and downloaded the new Pulic beta of Vista from Microsoft. Intalled it on a spare HDD and came here to see how many people had done the same.

looks like this on mine :-

vistascreen.jpg

Overall, quite pretty, nice effects etc, but I still much prefer my nice OS X :)

I'm downloading it now. Got to 2gig earlier and then MS server timed out dammit!. 1.3 gig so far. 3 hours to go on 2 mb. Only pc I have a spair partition on only has 512mb of ram lol.

The handles are a bit huge, and I'm not a fan of the glass look, but I like the way they're thinking overall. I'll be a user, at least for a trial period.

Was thinking about it and then saw how stupidly bloated it was...heh 1 gig o memory needded and 128 meg direct 9.0 compatible graphics card :p

(how much disk space doe it need! (even though i have 1/2 a tetra :p))

and decide i just couldn't be arsed :p

ill wait for someone to hack it into a lite version.. like my xp diet version.. rock solid tis, never had a blue screen or crash sine install, and i have tons of crap on my pc :)

Was thinking about it and then saw how stupidly bloated it was...heh 1 gig o memory needded and 128 meg direct 9.0 compatible graphics card :p

(how much disk space doe it need! (even though i have 1/2 a tetra :p))

and decide i just couldn't be arsed :p

ill wait for someone to hack it into a lite version.. like my xp diet version.. rock solid tis, never had a blue screen or crash sine install, and i have tons of crap on my pc :)

Eats about 10gb!

Last edited by a moderator:
Was thinking about installing it, but if it don't like my computer I'm screwed, and I don't have an XP disk to reinstall it. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't want it to fubar my existing perfectly working XP install, so I installed it under Virtual PC :)

After the hours of installation and watching it eat up over 8gb of disk space, my first impression was "Hmmm, fluffy user interface, pretty, but where's the "classic look" checkbox?". Followed by security dialogs ("Windows needs your authorisation to blah blah...") with no useful information in them - telling me a program is trying to do a "user control operation" or "file operation" is completely useless if it doesn't tell me exactly WHAT that operation is for. It doesn't even say what kind of file operation - I'd certainly be more cautious of a delete operation than a simple read for example.

So at the moment, a few nice touches, but it seems completely over the top and bloated in the "Lets make it look pretty" and "Can we make Windows any more annoying than it already is?" departments.

Back