Anyone run an online store or market stall?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I'm out of work atm & things are very tight so I'm having to consider all options for bringing in the bread.

I've been considering setting up an online shop or running a market stall, I've a few ideas of what I'd be looking to sell but as there would be two of us involved & the other person (my Sister) would be providing most of the cash at least in the short term, that aspect is still under discussion at the moment.

I'm interesting in sourcing the goods from one of the Chinese wholesalers such as Ali Express etc, but am nervous about potential import duty having been stung a few times before when purchasing random electronics.

I'm still very much on the fence atm & nervous about commiting what's left of my savings, but can't shake the idea.

I'd very much appreciate the thoughts/advice & any personal experience folks here may have.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardest thing is to find the right thing to sell and getting your name out there.  Also make sure you know how you are going to ship everything.

I am in the process of shutting down my shop because there just isn't a big enough market here to justify it.  I didn't lose money but it isn't making enough to justify the time,

Now to  get your name out there I found posting on bargain sites with genuine sales really helped.

but am nervous about potential import duty
Seek expert advice on this, try asking your local council if they can recommend anyone to help you. You need to be 100% sure of costs before you can set prices / make purchasing decisions.

As for general advice, what sort of things do you intend to sell? Can you link to another shop with a similar range of merchandise?

As for running a market stall, which market are you thinking of? Spend a week or two checking footfall, I frequently shop at markets but have noticed that many of them seem to have very small footfall these days.

Well, I can try to help you with Online shops and custom stuff in general, in case you got any specific questions :)

Since you'd be the importer (importing into the EU, that is,) you're responisble for assuring the safety and conformance of the products you sell.

My main advice would be: Stay far, far faaaaaaaar away from anything that plugs into the wall. If something somes with a wall-wart, don't pass that on. When they come from ebay/random chinese seller, they're usually lethal. And that will get you in trouble more than anything.

(Now is the time I realize I should've told ED that the Dingoo I bought from him years ago, the charger failed with a loud bang and some smoke, he'd probably want to know that...) 

Well, I can try to help you with Online shops and custom stuff in general, in case you got any specific questions :)
Hey that's a very kind offer EvilDragon, it's still very much in the should I shouldn't stage atm but I'll be sure to drop you a line if I've any queries, many thanks!

Back