Anyone intrested?

Dolfhin

Militaire Madness Junkie
Website
Visit site
I was thinking about making something like a download.com for the gp32. All software (emulators, homebrew's, ports, sources) will be aviable for download with a short description (and a link to the author and homepage) and a feature list (and a upcoming feature list if aviable). It's a lot of work to get this done (and updated) so want to be sure the're some people intrested. Anyone intrested?

There are already plenty of GP32 sites like one you described. You should think of an original idea like a GP32 emulator compatibility and screenshot site.

yeah, a compatibility site would be great. also .. just kind of a "look at all the great games you are missing out on!!" site - something tailored specifically for the GP32 and it's emu's. A lot of us around here have a general idea of what some of the more well-known games are to be played for GPengine, castaway, frodo, SMS + NES emu's, etc - but there are soooo many for those systems who've been lost to the ages, and they're all scattered across the internet. And on these boards you always hear banter about this obscure game or that, but generally there's no kinda screenshot or idea of what the game's about, so it's pretty easy to dismiss.. I wish some uber-retrogame nerd would just plumb the depths and amass a huge easy-to-digest collection of lots of little screenshots and writeups, (of course compatibility with the GP32 emu's being a factor) - man that would be cool, it would actually make a few people forget about the damn '...where's the genesis emulator!' shit for five minutes and want to exploit all the crap we already HAVE but aren't even aware of...

that being said, you should all concern yourselves with Rolling Thunder + Castlevania 3 for NES, Crackdown for Castaway, and Legendary Axe, Volfied and Galaga 90 for GPEngine

:ph34r: This site and the others are missing some great software look at this no1 has lazy reader for download even tho it was posted in the news section its the best text viewer ever it supports word wrap and u can scroll the text.

But has any1 put it in there app section? no

A better idea would be to make a site for using a GP32 at work like applications instead of emulators cause no1 is really keeping an eye on the apps every1 has the emulators ont he site but not the apps.

:ph34r:

GP32Spain has a very complete list of apps including Lazy Reader, and
UP Textviewer. The latter, in my opinion is the best text viewer featurewise.

The reason is, only hando has access to the download section AFAIK. One man work is usually hard.

And, er, feel free to make the site. Hope you don't mind lots of bandwidth if you're hosting downloads...

Dolfhin why not make the pages for hando and send them to him so he can update it.

Also i dont think its a bad idea having a download.com for gp32 apps as i dont go to the spain stite and i dont think many others do? do they? who knows but to a newbie spain = shouldnt bother looking there

:ph34r:

Just a normal download.com for the GP32 isn't enough :(
Maybe a more retro site with all emulators reviewd and an top 50 best games on each consule. A top 50 best games ever and a top 50 best games in each genre. And some more info about the emulators (e.g active inactive status)

I think a download.com type site is just what the gp32 needs at the moment. Ok, so sites like this one do have software on them, but they're usually completely out of date, not searchable, and it's not always obvious to newbies that the sites even contain software.

As long as your site will allow for user comments and ratings then you're on to a winner.

Please don't just go for a retro/emulator site :( Most of us were actually alive and playing all the old games when they were first released so we don't need to be told what they're like. And for anyone who's not old enough there are already thousands of sites like that which teach them all about the good old days :)

Rico posted on Aug 14 2003 said:
The reason is, only hando has access to the download section AFAIK. One man work is usually hard.

And, er, feel free to make the site. Hope you don't mind lots of bandwidth if you're hosting downloads...
Yeah because Rico will link to your downloads and make you cry. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Zider posted on Aug 14 2003 said:
What's wrong with this site?
It's news based and that's not wrong it's different from a file based site ;)

Dolfhin why not make the pages for hando and send them to him so he can update it.

Also i dont think its a bad idea having a download.com for gp32 apps as i dont go to the spain stite and i dont think many others do? do they? who knows but to a newbie spain = shouldnt bother looking there

Maybe i can ask hando for permision to use his information and update it with some own/author's information. It would be realy c00l if he would update the site but i don't think he'll do that.

I think a download.com type site is just what the gp32 needs at the moment. Ok, so sites like this one do have software on them, but they're usually completely out of date, not searchable, and it's not always obvious to newbies that the sites even contain software.

Yeah site's like this one are more news based not file based.

As long as your site will allow for user comments and ratings then you're on to a winner.

Sure that will be done :)

Please don't just go for a retro/emulator site Most of us were actually alive and playing all the old games when they were first released so we don't need to be told what they're like. And for anyone who's not old enough there are already thousands of sites like that which teach them all about the good old days

Don't forgot not everyone played all the games released some of us where just casual gamer at that time without money.

I think an emulation-focused download site for the GP32 might bring some unwanted attention. Yeah, if it's retro, it's not as bad, but it'll still be questionable.

It might be but emulation is allowed by law. Even if nintendo find the site they can't do anything.

Yeah because Rico will link to your downloads and make you cry.

That's not the problem i'll get a good antileecher script :)

Bwhaahha your puny anti-leech scripts can be easily destroyed by the Proximitron. All ph33r teh Proximitron!

...seriously though that's not what I meant. Running a download site will cause a lot of traffic, so good luck finding a host that will sit back and watch people download from you.

Rico posted on Aug 15 2003 said:
Bwhaahha your puny anti-leech scripts can be easily destroyed by the Proximitron. All ph33r teh Proximitron!

...seriously though that's not what I meant. Running a download site will cause a lot of traffic, so good luck finding a host that will sit back and watch people download from you.
I know a guy with a ftp sever :) Maybe he want's to store most files.
I'm waiting until host.sk activade my acount then i'll start bulding the site :)

I'll probably get a FTP server somewhere. Maybe i'll host my own :) (if i i can get broadband)

Back