Anyone For Xdigger?

Parkydr

Developing for the GP2X since 2006
Website
www.parkydr.ezeedsl.co.uk
Anyone interested in a port of xdigger, it's a boulderdash type game.

Graphics and sound are not great but it has a 320x240 mode and uses the X server :)

There's a screenshot and some info on this page

I'm in for a Boulderdash clone. It always was tremendously fun to play (and still is). But why xDigger? It's not the best Boulderdash clone on the page. And there are several open-source clones that thus can be ported.Most feature the scrolling screen that xDigger hasn't and besides the fact that a scaled-down screen would make the graphics almost too hard to recognize, an important part of the gameplay always was that you can't see too far ahead.

I would say, try some of the open-source clones on your PC before deciding for a particular version. Personally I'd prefer a clone that comes close as possible to the original, including original graphics and sounds.

I always liked boulderdash games. Nice blend of puzzle and action.

I tend to like the ones with nicer graphics though. Some are a bit crude, while others look great.

Maybe find one with good graphics to port? After all if we wanted to play the less graphically pleasing versions we could just fire up a C64 or Atari 800 emu.

The reason for choosing xdigger was that I noticed it was I was going through the games I had installed on my PC (Debian Linux) and noticed xdigger had a 320x240 mode. So I cross-compiled it and it runs fine on the GP2X.

The graphics and sound are crude, and I expect there are plenty of emulated versions, so I was testing the water before going to any effort with a full port.

Looks like I shouldn't bother :)

@Squirrel61 - the graphics are fine when scaled (just as bad :))

I reckon Xpilot is a pretty good game on it's own. Although destroying the robot ships does get a bit tedious in the end I suppose.

Fair enough...

So do you still plan to stick around on the GP2X rather than the Pandora then? I've just been on the openpandora forums and it just feels wrong...

Gruntfuggly said:
So do you still plan to stick around on the GP2X rather than the Pandora then? I've just been on the openpandora forums and it just feels wrong...
I'll be sticking around, I can't afford a Pandora and even if I could I'd still be looking out for stuff for the GP2X.

Last edited by a moderator:
I created a Boulderdash clone in Div (RockRush and a seasonal update, XmasRush, both of which are on the site that Parkydr linked to - http://www.bd-fans.com/FreewareMSDOS.html) which is physics perfect of the original and includes a built in level editor. It includes everything the first four BD games did, including slime and amoeba.

They are DOS, but I could port them with GLBasic.

BoulderDash is an absolute classic game that everyone should play at some point.

Parkydr said:
I'll be sticking around, I can't afford a Pandora and even if I could I'd still be looking out for stuff for the GP2X.
Hi ParkyDR, good to hear that :)
I'm (very very) imminently releasing my (Allegro) game - well a Beta#2 'any day' (how long have I thought that?!)
Work has been manic, so I've not touched it for months; luckily have had a few free lunchtimes and blitzed a couple of bugs...
Did you ever mess with the HW stuff on Allegro? I was looking at the Allegro code this lunchtime - how it finds and allocates 'video' (HW blittable) memory - a clever (but simple) method. Reason is that I wanted to put some graphic overlays into video memory and am struggling as I don't appear to have any blocks the right size available :(
Was going to have a look at how SDL creates up to 12M of 'video' memory, but for now will just try to squeeze stuff in... <_<

kevcal said:
Did you ever mess with the HW stuff on Allegro?
I've just used the library, I haven't fiddled with it. In fact I've never written anything from scratch in Allegro, I tend to use SDL.

Back