Any way to tighten the lid?

Orion4874

Mega GP Mania
Hi guys, I sent my Panda in for PTOD a little while back but while the repairs were great and Link was extremely helpful the lid on my 1ghz unit is now pretty loose. Before the RMA it would stay at any position and stay that way without any problems. Now, depending on which way I hold it, it will just flop all the way open. So, is there anyone who has any experience with this issue and has any advice to give? Is there any easy way to tighten it back to the way it was?

Thanks in advance!

If you're brave enough to disassemble your Pandora, you could make a small thin plastic washer to add to the assembly... should last longer than repainting those parts to add friction.

Sent from my GT-N5100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

The lid was tighter on my pandora too, before opening the case.

I sometimes push the sides carefully, seems to tighten it, but only for 15 minutes or so :p

Think only a full case replacement will make it tighter again, but only in the first year or so, as the material seems to expand over time, and degrade slightly.

I am sure it will be improved for the Pandora2, the Pandora1 was on a tight budget, but the team has learned a lot from making the first one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah!  Mine was loose when I fist got it.  I opened it to replace the broken LCD cable and did some mix-and-matching between the black and silver cases, and as a good side affect, this fixed this issue .  It now stays tightly doesn't matter what angles (45-deg, 75-deg, 90-deg, 110-deg, etc.) I open the lid.

Mine's an original CC unit, March 2011, in use daily - and my screen still sits at any angle, I usually have it at 95-100 degrees open, never use it all the way (flat).

The only thing I can put this down to is that as soon as I got it, as others were reporting cracks forming in the area, I put a 1cm wide strip of clear vinyl along the length of the seam at the base of the screen.

When the unit is closed, looking from the rear, that's the seam running along the connection between the base of the screen bezel and the screen backing.

I cut the strip of vinyl from a roll of the stuff made for protecting book covers, and made sure it was pulled tight across the hinge when I applied it. It's served me well it seems!

^ Why....   is this in this thread?

Funds for development of the P2 were budgeted into the business plan when seeking investment for the move to GC.

That doesn't mean that it's not on a tight budget though, and it doesn't necessarily mean further investment won't be required once it gets to the prototype stage.

- Neelix

he Pandora1 was on a tight budget,
Don't assume the Pandora 2 is not on a tight budget either :p
Well, ED stated hes got the funding for the P2, something the P1 sadly lacked, proper funding up front.
Well as long as the P1 preorders are not fully delivered I wonder where the funding is coming from. Since ED said he invested all profits in delivering Pandoras to Craig's customers.

Thanks for the responses guys. It's not a huge deal but I just prefer the lid at an angle like a DS. If I was brave enough I'd do that barrel hinge swap that another forum member did a while back. Guess I'll just have to live with it. No biggie! :)

Thanks for the responses guys. It's not a huge deal but I just prefer the lid at an angle like a DS. If I was brave enough I'd do that barrel hinge swap that another forum member did a while back. Guess I'll just have to live with it. No biggie! :)
You can also 3d print a screen holder. Someone shared the 3d file a while back.

Yeah, I actually have one but when I saw what was involved in changing those things out I decided against it. If I ever get PTOD again maybe I'll send the hinge along with it and pay Link to do it..... if he would do that anyway.

Mine was floppy until ED got his hands on it; now it's as firm as ever.

The hinge wasn't designed to stay open at 180 degrees - that was Craig's excuse for why it's a bag of shite. The hinge they wanted was patented by Nintendo and not allowed to be used, iirc. Craig then wandered around the forums stating in no uncertain terms how awesome the Pandora was opened fully, despite being clearly wrong. Again.

D.

Fold a small piece of paper a few (3?) times, push it between the hinges from the backside and then slowly open the unit, thus pulling the paper further inside. Don't make it too thick so nothing breaks from the resulting force. It's not beautiful, but it works. Can carry around the tiny scrap inside the clamshell.

Or get a wriststrap to fasten on the backside which you can then pull in from the left side over the wifi LED basically for the same effect, but it's more likely that your case will crack if you're not careful there/use too much force.

Strange... After searching I can't seem to find any documentation on this ds hinge mod. Does anything actually exhist?

Back