Any gamma settings to reduce ghosting?

coevin

Hi

Was just wondering if anyone has got any gamma settings to help reduce the ghosting? It's really noticeable playing Mario.

Cheers

Ohhh noo... I was sooo concerned about this, I found it unplayably noticeable on the PSP, and everyone assured me that the Pandora would have no ghosting :/

Ohhh noo... I was sooo concerned about this, I found it unplayably noticeable on the PSP, and everyone assured me that the Pandora would have no ghosting :/

Well, you can find a lot of different opinions... some say it's terrible, some barely do notice it.

I hated the PSP ghosting and while the Pandora is not perfect (haven't seen a perfect affordable LCD in that size), I have no issues playing games on it.

TV Gamma should reduce the ghosting quite a bit, as does hardware scaling (depending on the emulator you're using).

Oh don't get me wrong it's better than the psp. I've just been playing Mario 64 and the ghosting on marios hat when he jumps etc is very noticeable even on tv setting.

huh... I don't notice the ghosting playing mario...strange

Well, you can find a lot of different opinions... some say it's terrible, some barely do notice it.
I wonder if there are also some natural variations between individual LCDs playing a part in that, as well?

I think there could be this is my 3rd pandora and it seems to be getting worse with each one. Still loving the machine but I play a lot of soccer games like sensi and having this black trail running behind them is rather off putting.

Remember that each generation of PSP has wildly different screens; the original PSP had dreadful ghosting, but the Slim is not half bad.

For ghosting, its certainly there (and I suspect does vary by LCD; certainly from pre-release LCDs to production LCDs differs), but it seems to _show_ differently depending on the situation. ie: Obviously games with high blacks adjacent to non-blacks will show more, and games using a lot of dark colours as dither patterns may show more. It seems to me that some families of games bring it out more, while others don't at all -- running Wipeout 3 under PcsxRearmed is gorgeous, but Time Bandits on the ST .. if its a dithery coloured screen, it looks muddier. Some platforms needed or fostered colourations that aggravate the ghosting but others do not?

Certainly it depends on the person; I know that FPS dipping a little or screen tearing doesn't tend to bother me at all (except on Wiz), while it drives others mental. *shrug*

I'd say Pandora does ghost a little (most LCDs do), but certainly not best or worst. I wouldn't let it scare people, but some people might be bothered a bit for some games. I would bet most people are happy with it, or at worst, 'a little annoyed sometimes'?) ie: For me it does take away from some of the effect of Time Bandits (one of my favourite old school games), but most games I don't notice it _at all_ (Dungeon Master, Captive, etc, on the ST, or eye of the Beholder, Master of Magic on dosbox, or Quake 2....)

jeff

Never occurred to me to test brightness; does brightness impact ghosting perception? I tend to run dull on most devices to conserve battery and avoid burnign my brains out, but LCDs tend to lok sharper/better when brighter if it doesn't bug you, so maybe higher brightness pronounces or deemphasis it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back