Another little proposal: Backside logo

Xcl4m4t10n

Advanced Member
About the backside, what was the final decisition about the frame? It's going to be glued? Why not make two little holes on the corners and make the aluminium frame with some "flanges"?

Something like this:

In5B4Y0.png

And on the case:

ApyVJol.png

Maybe it's better with the four squares, but that's the idea.

I think that the logo itself is a clear plastic oval held in place by the glue to the aluminum which is then held to the lid by glue. Your no glue solution would have the clear oval rattle.

There will be no glue in the Pyra. I heard ED say so in an interview.

Can the logo be taken out and changed? Like if I wanted to have the Linux Penguin there instead could I change it by taking it out and swap it with another that I bought or made myself?

I want to note I am also very interested in some details about this matter.

Can the logo be taken out and changed? Like if I wanted to have the Linux Penguin there instead could I change it by taking it out and swap it with another that I bought or made myself?
Tux is pretty popular with Linux losers. I have a bunch of stuff with him, including a chocolate Tux. I would love to see pics if you do this.

To get the new pattern, there would be needed a complete new mould.
I think it's to late in this stage of the project.

Sharp edges at the wrong places and concave / convex surfaces are the enemy of inexpensive designs.

Old design:
Milled area
(Eroded/ polished,... for surface finish.)

New design:
Milled area + Multible step eroding to get sharp corners + more expensive inlets

I don't think that someone would want to pay the significant higher price because of the design of the logo / logo inlet.

Replacing the plate with some kind of kaleidoscope would be fabulous.
Something that bends and spreads the light from the LEDs a bit, making everyone go "Woah!" whenever you turn it on. :)

^and how about a horrible startup sound like on the Mac, then everyone will have to turn to see !

There will be no glue in the Pyra. I heard ED say so in an interview.
For all I know, the last thing ED said about how those plates will be attached was they'll be glued. Yes, he keeps saying it's all screwed, nothing's glued, but I'm quite sure he has the overall modularity in mind. I mean, he says nothing's glued, although the touch screen is, right? And I'd say so is the inlet. I hope that's about to change, though.

This is what has been running through my mind:

Why are the details on the plate so hush hush? (something is obviously going on behind the scenes)
We know there are difficulties with the design as ED switched to using a plate in an attempt to address these issues.

The issues being the very sharp/thin 'hooks' that are causing complications...
So, if the issue is still there in spite of using a metal plate... the conclusion then is the logo design as it stands is unworkable.

The solution?
Simplify the design, namely take out those troublesome hooks. This appears to be what was decided (unless we are all jumping to conclusions based on an incorrect blender file).
If this is indeed what has been done... it begs these questions:

Why isn't the official logo on the site modified to reflect this? What? Are we going to have TWO versions of the logo floating around? That is just... um... strange.
I know ED has all this merchandise with the logo he has to get rid of somehow...
But then I say, keep the logo as it is and change the backplate completely... to something neutral... it seems silly to have two versions of the logo.

Also, if the logo is being simplified, why then do we need the plate?

I would love to get some insight on this.

P.s. The new logo (simplified) looks like is was fixed (hackishly)... I.e. the edge where the hooks were isn't smooth, almost like someone just snipped them off and didn't redraw a new edge or is the result of a poly reduction...

Why are the details on the plate so hush hush? (something is obviously going on behind the scenes)
In my opinion this is an unjust statement to make towards EvilDragon. The guy has been extremely transparent about issues and to suggest that he is plotting something in secrecy here is unfair.

In reaction to the post by Erico, Ed posted the following:
I do wonder though: it's missing the metal frame around the logo at the back... is that made from the latest blender file?

It might just be a mistake.

While the metal frame is glued into the case, I doubt it would be hard removing it without damaging anything. And in worst case, you can buy new case parts from me for a couple of EUR ;)

Making something to snap in a mold adds complexity, you need to create additional tools that are inserted into the main mold each time when you produce the case.
You can't simply do it like a 3D print.

I only make assumptions, but i think the main reason behind the decision to use the aluminium-inlet is that the RGB-Leds shine through the case and would lead to an washed out look ofthe logo.

The logo-change was to reduce the production costs.
When the logo is mouldet in to the case, most companies use simple logos with few details.
This ist becausae sharp edges rises the production costs dramaticaly.
Take a look at Apple, Android,.... and you will see.

With the sharp edged logo:
The production of the mold is much more complex.
The production-tolerances are much smaller.
The reject/waste rate is much higher.

In my case, I don't want to pay 20 to 50 Euro more, only to get a fancy logo.
But I'm only a old geezer which thinks that the design is much less important than the function.
I know that the kids this days think the other way around.

But if you have a well build product which is designed to last long and work propperly, the whole product get its one individual elegance.

[Edit]
Damn, I have to learn to write english much faster.
[/edit]

In my opinion this is an unjust statement to make towards EvilDragon. The guy has been extremely transparent about issues and to suggest that he is plotting something in secrecy here is unfair.

???
Has there been any statement regarding the logo change? Have I missed something?

Who said anything about plots? Something is obviously going on... and as I haven't 'seen' what it is, therefor what is going on is 'behind the scenes'...

Of course, if this information is actually available, then my post was in ignorance.

Furthermore... why on earth would ED need to plot anything here? He can make up his mind on anything and simply tell us "This is what we are doing, and this is the reason why"... as he consistently does.

So I don't know what you are implying actually.

Back