Annoying Computer Fault!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaw

*Real* Arcade Gamer
Website
www.gamersglory.co.uk
After a power cut, i resetted my computer and the whole resolution looks wacky! everything is massive :(

tried just about everything:
resolutoion
graphics card driver
disability options
DPI
appearance settings

etc.

and NOTHING has got it back to how it was :/

DAMN YOU MICROSOFT!!

anyone got any idea how to sort it !? it's doing my head in and reformat is looking ULTRA tempting :/

Okay, first of all, tell me which version of Windows you're using.

If you can, post a link to a screenshot of what's going on.

This exact same thing happened to me. Even the powercut, (okay, i actualy switched it off at the mains by accident).

And yes, it wont fix untill after reformatting.

Hmm, I have never seen this before in all my days with computers. I've built probably more than 10 pcs for myself out of all kinds of crap and have used windows since version 3.1. And I've never been able to trust my power either, its always sucked.

But I would say that there must be SOME way of fixing it without reformatting.

it's WinXP Pro.

i've got the taskbar kinda looking normal, but everything else is the same.

does winxp not have a rollback feature? i can't find one, and i remember at about the time it came out all the hype about the settings rollback..

I run XP Pro on all my machines and have never seen this. Please post a screenshot so I can figure out whats going on.

Rollback = start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore.

If you don't know how to take screenshot of this, heres the procedure:

Press the Print Screen (usually abbreviated) button (above the Insert key).

Open up paint or whatever and press paste.

rollback did not work.

here is the picture of it now:

i don't have a before picture, but i assure you everything was about 20% smaller.

it looks more like 640x480

to be honest looking at that pic, it does not look too bad, but compared to what it used to be, it's massive :(

okay:

First of all, you need to go into the control panel and add/remove programs. Remove everything to do with your graphics card. And in fact anything you see there to do with any previous graphics drivers.

Reboot and before the XP loader appears hold down F8, this should get you the XP loader menu. If you get the the standard XP loading screen then you have missed it and try again. When you get the loader, chose safe mode.

Once booted and logged in (The screen will look terrible and big as it's running in safe mode, 8 bit 640x480) Right click My Computer and click options. Click the hardware tab and click Device Manager. Then click the View option at the top and select show hidden devices. Remove anything under the Display Adapters section.

Now reboot and go through the standard display adapter installation that you would normally do with your graphics card.

So what have we done? We have removed the software for your card and any old cards. We have removed the graphics drivers for that or old cards. and after the reboot if you have followed the installation instructions provided by your graphics card manufacturer, you should have a working system once again!

Thats one ugly desktop...tho I've seen uglier. I usually keep my desktop entirely empty (removed all icons except recycle bin) and I never scale up crappy images for the wallpaper (I render mine from SVG).

Also my start menu is organized into Games and Tools.

Blah posted on Aug 7 2006 at 10:03 PM said:
Thats one ugly desktop...tho I've seen uglier. I usually keep my desktop entirely empty (removed all icons except recycle bin) and I never scale up crappy images for the wallpaper (I render mine from SVG).

Also my start menu is organized into Games and Tools.
Sounds like your graphics drivers are not binding to the hardware for some reason. Have you tried downloading the latest ones, it might solve the problem. How about reseating the graphics card too?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jaw posted on Aug 8 2006 at 11:23 AM said:
the resolution is high yes, that's not the problem. it just LOOKS like it's running 640x480

The icons look perfect for that resolution. Are you referring to the background image? It just looks like you have the 'stretch' option checked, that's what's causing the incredible grainyness.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back