Angström Multiple Desktops?

one_winged_angel

Still Fresh
Hi guys

Ive been watching the pandora project since 1.5 years now, just lurking around the forums and reading shizzle!
Well my question is does angström have multiple desktops like ubuntu? It would be really handy cause it the pandora has a small screen and multiple windows on 1 screen just wouldnt look too good! So does it have multiple desktops?

THX and craigix and co keep up the work!

one_winged_angel said:
Hi guys

Ive been watching the pandora project since 1.5 years now, just lurking around the forums and reading shizzle!
Well my question is does angström have multiple desktops like ubuntu? It would be really handy cause it the pandora has a small screen and multiple windows on 1 screen just wouldnt look too good! So does it have multiple desktops?

THX and craigix and co keep up the work!
I could imagen it could be put in, if needed.

Not 100% if I'm honest!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure if matchbox supports multiple desktops, but it's a pretty standard feature of linux window managers these days, so most likely it will have some sort of multiple desktop support. I'm pretty content on getting compiz built & running as well (you can argue the usefulness all you want, but i kno i'm not the only one who likes eye-candy).

I have used multiple desktops under Angstrom. Whether or not they work with the default configuration remains to be seen (I was using EvilWM).

Compiz will probably not work it doesn't have an opengl es backend

other 3d graphics should work like clutter and other 3d UI libraries

Multiple Desktops or Workspaces as they are called in the *nix universe are a product of the Window Manager being used, not Compiz.

Matchbox, the default WM for the Pandora doesn't support multiple workspaces as far as I can tell, but workspaces doesn't fit it's design paradigm anyways since each application is designed to consume most of the screen space anyways. If you want a true windowed evironment with workspaces and all the other goodies, you'll need to switch up to XFCE, FWM, or ICE or something similar instead of Matchbox, which ultimately should be a fairly trivial task of installing the proper packages from the Angstrom Repos and changing the default window manager in a config file.

Further, cb88 is correct, Compiz will not work. It requires a full implementation of OpenGL2. That's not to say that sometime in the near/distant future someone won't take the time to convert all the OpenGL calls in Compiz's core code to OpenGL/ES calls. This is no small task, and I won't be holding my breath for it.

it doesn't matter if the default WM doesn't support multiple desktops, as they are easy to replace. Though on sutch a small screen you wont want more than on or two windows visable anyway.

[edit] Typo

@mindlord well that is based on what we have been told till now(so it is still remotely possible i am wrong but it is correct if we only have OpenGL ES etc...).... craigix is hinting at something perhaps we do have opengl2 NO ONE HAS CONFIRMED OR EVEN SAID THAT YET IT IS JUST SPECULATION

Hessiess said:
hough on sutch a small screen you wont want more than on or two windows visable anyway.
but thats exactly why i want multiple desktops so you can switch between multiple windows but still having full screen!

one_winged_angel said:
but thats exactly why i want multiple desktops so you can switch between multiple windows but still having full screen!
Alt+tab.

There's a link here somewhere. I'll look for it.

EDIT: Ah, here it is. Task-switching should be pretty easy to do without multiple workspaces, and will allow you to switch quickly among multiple full-screen apps. Workspaces can be useful, though, and switching out your window manager to enable them should be fairly easy (and a good way to get more familiar with your X server configuration).

one_winged_angel said:
Hessiess said:
hough on sutch a small screen you wont want more than on or two windows visable anyway.

If all apps are running as full screen, what's the difference between switching workspaces and bringing a different application to focus? As near as I can tell there is none.

Hessiess said:
Though on sutch a small screen you wont want more than on or two windows visable anyway.
Also, even on such a small screen, multiple smaller windows can be advantageous. Like a calender-day-picking window in a PIM application, or a popup calculator in an editor.

For those people who like making the most out of limited screen space: EvilWM is the way to go.

-Keyboard control of window resizing/moving/maximizing
-Keyboard control of desktop switching
-No toolbars/docks/taskbars/window decorations* to eat up precious space

I'm just saying that if you want to waste NO space, that's the way to go. Very little RAM drain as well. It definitely will NOT show off the Pandora's graphical capabilities, however.

Just my $0.02

http://www.6809.org.uk/evilwm/

*Boarders available if you really want them

Back