An End To Your Retro Gaming Passion ?.

PINMAN61

Still Fresh
At almost 45 years of age,i am probably one of the oldest members at this particular place,and with that thought in my head,i then started to wonder if there would ever come a time at some future point,when i'll say bugger it all,and just call it a day,as far as retro gaming is concerned.
As people get older,they often tend to change their opinions/attitudes towards certain things(fashion/music/politics etc etc),hence me wondering if i'll ever lose my love for this interest of mine.
Even though i've personally been playing video games for the best part of 30 years now(God i feel old....heck,i am old :lol: ),there's obviously no guarantee that i'll still have the same passion for retro gaming,within a few years time(or maybe just a few months or so,even).
Any thoughts reguarding this issue ?.Do you think that you'll ever tire of it all,or do you reckon you will carry on,till your last dying breath ? :D

im more worried about losing my hair than losing my passion for retro gaming.

I'm most likely also an "older" member on this board being 37 years old (tomorrow). I too have been playing video games for almost 30 years, starting off with Atari 2600 and other odd TV games and arcade games.

Throughout the years I've always enjoyed the latest and greatest hardware and software until the last 5-6 years. During this time I've found that I've had significantly less time to play games. With decreasing frequency I play modern games, just shrugging my shoulders and the latest releases.
I'm playing Paper Mario on the Gamecube at the moment. The last FPS style game I've actually enjoyed and wanted to play to completion was Halflife 2 on the Xbox.

I have very selective interest in new games and yet my retro gaming always seems fresh. There were so many system that I missed out on.

I think in a way you've answered your own question. As you get older you're tastes will change, I know mine have. So there's no guarantee that you will enjoy retro gaming in the future to the extent that you do now - but I think if you do enjoy it and have been actively pursuing it, you will always like it to some degree in the future. I'm sure that I will.

it comes and goes .. i'm 36, been playing video games for 30 years, and i can't say i'll ever stop, but i do get dis-interested (generally) in games in phases .. right now i'm not keen on the big-metal 3D stuff (Xbox/PS2/etc.) that the young un's are all growing up on, and for me the GP2X fills the ticket for gaming desire naturally .. nothing quite like having 2,000 games in your pocket to choose from, many with historical sentimentality associated with them (Crazy Climber, baby!) .. the key to staying interested is obvious: only play games that you're interested in and don't get too crazy about it .. sooner or later, there will be kids out there reminiscing about their Halo days, and some young punks lambasting the oldies for their "3D Accelerator" obsessions which, by then, will have been replaced by something equally banal more likely .. and when those days come, pop in a virtual quarter and blast some 'steroids and alien invader pixels, why don't you .. ;)

I wish I was 45 again! My love for retro still burns! I will play until I can't see it any more and then until I can't hear it! I am 51 and will be turning 52 in a few months. :eek:

I must fight those alien hords until they are chased out of our galaxy!!!! :blink:

Of course, we had it tough.
We had to get out of bed at two o'clock in'th morning, half an hour before we went to bed, and lick road clean with tongue.............!
Play 'till my thumbs seize!!!!

During the war..... :rolleyes:

Been playing with it since i could reach it, Oops :blink: Oh It's about games *Cough* Sorry. :unsure:

I'm 35 at the moment, Till the end of the year that is. I've been playing games for nearly 25 years, Started on thoughs single game handheld systems, Such as Missile Invaders, Scramble, Firefox F7, AstroWars etc, And can still see myself playing games in atleast another 25 years.

Old farts unite. :p

Trooper

trooper posted on Oct 31 2006 at 10:04 PM said:
During the war..... :rolleyes:

Been playing with it since i could reach it, Oops :blink: Oh It's about games *Cough* Sorry. :unsure:

I'm 35 at the moment, Till the end of the year that is. I've been playing games for nearly 25 years, Started on thoughs single game handheld systems, Such as Missile Invaders, Scramble, Firefox F7, AstroWars etc, And can still see myself playing games in atleast another 25 years.

Old farts unite. :p

Trooper

Really, its amazing any yungins' are into retrogaming; it also weirds me out when the 80s retro night is _packed_ at a club, and the dancers are folks born in the 90s ;)

I think things wane and grow; I'm always into retro, have arcade cabs in the basement, working on 80s-like games, working on emus and ports etc etc. But any given year interests in different facets surface more than others.

Perhaps its like B-movies; its something different, but sometimes you're into zombies and other times heroes :)

You'l alwayslove your true favourites, but sometimes you recognize your favourites aren't what you thought; I still dig Donkey Kong and Pacman, but I care less about others I used to dig. I love discovering new (er, retro) titles I didn't play before .. remembering there are _thousands_ of old titles...

... but you also have to enjoy current games too, to keep fresh; I'm tempted to go back and replay Halflife 2 .. thats a fine game. Civ IV is my poison, as is Oblivion... and I'm going to replay Chaos Strikes Back (Atari ST) soon, once I finish up Guild of Thieves (Magnetic Scrolls, many platofrms.) Oh, well, maybe some Indiana Jones SCUMMVM game too...

Try some text adventures; they're still making them today (public domain), and there are hundreds of really good ones fro the 80s and 90s too.

Ahh, damnit, now I'm all fired up again... time to play Quartet (arcade) :)

jeff

Last edited by a moderator:
So fellow old farts... What are your favourite games? What's the machine that you keep coming back to?

I find myself loving the MAME games more than anything. SNES is a very close second though.

So fellow old farts... What are your favourite games? What's the machine that you keep coming back to?

I find myself loving the MAME games more than anything. SNES is a very close second though.

Ol' fart 31 (junior senior fart)
My favorites platforms are Amiga, Pcengine and Amstrad Cpc. Because I owned (and still own ;) ) those.
I also played a lot of Mame since I discovered it. Just had to take my parent's money back... lol

Favorites games ? That's more than difficult to say when you don't remenber where you live (old age, old age what have you done to me ? ... i can't remember !).
In fact there's too many of them and if I begin it will be like:
"During the war I used to play..."

I definitly will try to escape from hell by trying to beat the guards at SF2.

moz posted on Oct 31 2006 at 10:22 PM said:
im more worried about losing my hair than losing my passion for retro gaming.

34. And exact same thought :)
must be our ages im 33.

well i dont think i'll be losing my passion any time soon i've got to finish a skip full of games such as skool daze and driller and the last ninja series. then theres the RPG's from the megadrive and SNES then a little dabble into the PSX era. got to get the 8/16bit out my system first though.

the new era of FPS doesnt appeal to me anymore, and id rather have kickoff or senis soccer than pro evolution/fifa- in fact speedball 1+2 might get a play tonight :)

oops forget all the ultimate games again, knightlore,sabre wolf etc attic attack and batman.. too many games too little time.

Happy Birthday you two!

Can this be the official over 35 thread? Where we can talk about Werther's Originals and reusable condoms?

(36, btw)

I think experience allows you to cut through the bullshit and appreciate games more on merit than marketing or being led by what others are playing.

There are some great games being released still, but I have the same approach to gaming as I do to music: I'll take pure and raw rather than over-produced every time.

... approaching 30...

I'll be 38 in January and I don't ever plan on stopping retro gaming... if anything, the older I get the more retro gaming there is. I heard "Ghostbusters" on my local oldies radio station... the 80s are "oldies" now <sigh>. As long as I can play Black Tiger on MAME, Blackthorne on any platform, Gods on any platform, and numerous other favorites I'll keep doing so.

On a related but different note, I keep a PC loaded with Windows 98 so I can play DOS games better... I still go back to games like Anvil of Dawn, Elder Scrolls: Arena, and The Dark Heart of Uukrul. Yes, the graphics are low-end but the gameplay of these old games is sterling! Find one game today that can match the thrill of any Infocom game and I'll eat it.

Okay, I'm done showing off my age <wheeze>.

Back