Amstrad Cpc

gaterooze

Coltrane Sundia
Website
Visit site
Since I didn't know much about the Amstrad, I've been trawling through the hundreds of reviews on this great site:

CPC Game Reviews

There are some really neat-looking games on the system, and I'm gonna have a lot of fun trying them out.

Thanks for opening up another world on the GP32, David Skywalker! Looking forward to seeing the emu improve with the TODO list -- should be great.

OK, so I'm loving Pituka so far, but as I'm a C64 guy at heart I haven't done much more than play the Amstrad versions of my C64 favourites. Are there any games which are definitively "Amstrad" which I should play? Even if they are bad, just ones which are known for the system. I'm keen to complete my education as the Amstrad is one of the few machines which kind of passed me by...

®

my mate had an amstrad before I got my C64 and we had hours of fun on it - try out Oh Mummy - it's one that came with the pack (I Think) and I remember his mum was a complete addict!!!

not tried it for bout 18 years so it may have aged badly :p :p

Spindizzy on the CPC is the definitive version.

Does anyone know the compatibility rate for this emulator?

Any idea when the next version might come out ?

This emulator works with DSK files so i tried it with a few but theres a lot of typing and quotation marks etc to load games. Bit of a pain

Dont get me wrong this emulator could be very very good and the next version apparently will be much easier to load games. At the moment its just a lot of hassle to load games. Good potential with this emulator and i cant wait for the next version of it

i also never had an amstrad ( C=64 owner :p ), but the system and the games look really great.

i read a lots of reviews and i found that 3D Starfighter is supposed to be one of the best games (http://www.cpcgamereviews.com/t/index3.html at the bottom).
as soon as i have free time, i'll play it, because it looks really good.

'Savage' is a good hack and slash em up game.

Its also got nice big graphics and effects.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

I had a Spectrum for years back when i was younger, thanks to emulation i can now try out a ton of games for other systems.

Some C64 games are very good and i'm sure the same can be said for Amstrad games. On that cpcgamereviews site though, jesus that guy doesnt like the Spectrum !

I think on all those old platforms (Spectrum/C64/Amstrad) there'll be good and bad games for each machine. Either way with low filesizes i cant wait to try out some Amstrad games

It's interesting doing what the UK magazine "Retrogamer" has been doing and comparing C64/Spectrum/Amstrad conversions of the same game too as that is sometimes very suprising...

®

Any idea when the next version might come out ?

This emulator works with DSK files so i tried it with a few but theres a lot of typing and quotation marks etc to load games. Bit of a pain

Dont get me wrong this emulator could be very very good and the next version apparently will be much easier to load games. At the moment its just a lot of hassle to load games. Good potential with this emulator and i cant wait for the next version of it
Today will be released another version.

In addition, it will include an easy DSKs load system as you say...
and more things :)

Un Saludo.
;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Another version already? Cool! I had an Amstrad CPC for many years, among my favourite games were Renegade, Target Renegade, the Dizzy range (much better on the CPC) Vampire, Jack the Nipper 2, Rampage and the Cybernoid series. Driller is also quite a good 3D game.

Shirohagen if you could recommend C64 games to me i'd be grateful, funnily enough thats the one computer that passed *me* by. :D

Well let me see, there are lots of games which are quintesentially C64 for one reason or another, try these to start as they are immediately identifiable with the 64:

System 3: Last Ninja Series, IK, IK+
Apex Computer Productions: CREATURES, CREATURES 2, Mayhem in Monsterland
Hewson: Uridium, Paradroid, Zynaps

I could go on all day...

There are many games which are great but are essentially similar to other platforms, try visiting www.lemon64.com to get a C64 crash course, especially the top 100 games page where there are some true classics.

I'm not sure how Dizzy could be much different on the Amstrad, I'll check out Treasure Island Dizzy (which was always my favourite) and have a look. Always thought these were pretty similar between platforms, it is mainly the film licences or the arcade conversions which tended to vary wildly from machine to machine, Chase HQ is God awful on the 64 so can't be worse on the Amstrad...

®

PS. Cybernoid is DEFINATELY better on the C64!

When i said Dizzy was better on the cpc, i was thinking in comparison to the speccy version. (he was just completely white on that platform) Treasure Island was my fav too, the only one i actually managed to complete.
I can't actually remember what chasehq was like on the CPC.

Thanks for the games you recommended. :)

P.s. www.lemon64.com is a great site, loads of stuff there!

Yeah he was white on the 64 too (I think he got red gloves later on though), I only played him with red gloves when I got an Amiga, but Treasure Island Dizzy on that was strangely souless, I'll give the CPC version a go...

...Trust me Chase HQ would have to be better, boy was I deflated the day I bought that and got it home! Get your hands on the ROMs and compare them. Also try Cybernoid on the C64, as if you only ever tried the CPC version you really missed out on the music.

®

Yeah maybe, but I definately prefer the sprites and animation on the C64, and the more complementary palette just looks better to me. Plus of course the music is truly great! It does play very similarly though, it's a bloody hard game, that seems universal!

®

Back