Alternative Tv-Out Solution For Pandora

andymanone

Website
korg.radias.de
Hi @all:

(i´ve posted it (a couple of days before), in the german and english GP2x forum , but like i can see, it could be interesting for this board here too ;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tired by the long time waiting for Pandora´s never released TV-Out cable,

i tried to create my own solution.

My little Beta test shows an separate 3,5mm A/V jack supports TV-out (and finally Audio Out too)

If it´s ready, the jack will be placed above the Pandoras Expansion Port and is completely independent

from the rare to get Exp-Port connector.

Here you can see a first Beta Test Video (followed by some pictures)

https://www.youtube.com/embed/1Gr1RTMdly8?feature=oembed

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0581.jpg

But keep in mind: all this MODs voids your warranty!!!

BR,

andY

i love that the community consists of users such as yourself, but this isnt very usable in the current form. great work though. please tell us if you have any other random hardware mods

man i was just in a thread where i commented that OP should have done this to begin with. i assume it supports standard headphones? it would be VERY nice to replace the existing headphone jack with a A/V style jack hacked in, but your little mod is good enough and is definitely one i will be doing. a spare headphone jack is nice to have anyway. i dont think some of the other posters understand that you will be drilling a hole in the case and fixing the jack to it.

thanks for doing the hard part and nice clean soldering!

::EDIT:: P.S. i plan on installing L2 & R2 tact switches to one of the sides of my pandora for play/pause and forward-skip buttons when i receive mine. just throwing that out there in case you get any ideas...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooooh, awesome. The 2 wires on the bottom right are beyond my skill though, too much risk, and still got my warranty... alas, but looking great on screen!

And if you or anyone else finds the ext plugs for sale, and has the skill to make a (sort of) clean cable, pm me and i will buy one. Got a VJ job in June, and i would really like to use the Pandora there. If only as a media player, but got something planned software wise.

Cheers!

I know I could probably easily figure it out, but which of those pins from the solder pads is the video signal? And what ohm rating is the capacitor? Is it just 75?

Wow, I´m really impressed of so much response ;)

So but now to the answers..

Sweet! It's not attractive, but it works!
Yes, like explained in my posting, it´s an early first beta function test - not finished yet!

If it´s ready, the additional A/V jack will be placed clean inside the Pandora case on top the ext Connector.

i love that the community consists of users such as yourself, but this isnt very usable in the

current form. great work though. please tell us if you have any other random hardware mods
Like explained above, its not finished yet...

If you´re interested on my other works and Mods for Pandora, GP2x F100/200, WIZ, Cannoo,Dingoo and Vocamaster, you can check out my YT channel:

->> YT channel andymanone

...or checkout the Int´l GP2x Forum or the German GP2x Forum

That is awesome! Can't wait to see others give this a good go.
Hi nice to meet you here again!

And thanks ;)

man i was just in a thread where i commented that OP should have done this to begin with. i assume

it supports standard headphones? it would be VERY nice to replace the existing headphone jack with a

A/V style jack hacked in, but your little mod is good enough and is definitely one i will be doing.

a spare headphone jack is nice to have anyway. i dont think some of the other posters understand

that you will be drilling a hole in the case and fixing the jack to it.

thanks for doing the hard part and nice clean soldering!

::EDIT:: P.S. i plan on installing L2 & R2 tact switches to one of the sides of my pandora for

play/pause and forward-skip buttons when i receive mine. just throwing that out there in case you

get any ideas...
Yes, It could be a good idea to replace the existing AV jack, it´s worth, to think about..

Ooooh, awesome. The 2 wires on the bottom right are beyond my skill though, too much risk, and still

got my warranty... alas, but looking great on screen!

And if you or anyone else finds the ext plugs for sale, and has the skill to make a (sort of) clean

cable, pm me and i will buy one. Got a VJ job in June, and i would really like to use the

Pandora there. If only as a media player, but got something planned software wise.

Cheers!

^ About the ext connectors, is

this thread of any

use to you?
Oh thanks, had a very busy month and am still reading up on the fora. Did not know that thread

evolved so much. Looks promising.

on topic: Awesome mod!!!

@Risk: Yes, of course anyone should only do that Mod, if he has the right skills for...

(The risk of void your warranty or destroy your Pandora, it´s not worth)

I wanna use the Pandora in my Music-Studio/MIDI Equipment and the original small screen isn´t really

good visible on higher distance than 30cm ;) , so i decided me, to create this solution...

I know I could probably easily figure it out, but which of those pins from the solder pads is the

video signal? And what ohm rating is the capacitor? Is it just 75?
Here a little Howto (btw. its an capacitor with 2,2nF not a resistor ;) )

it´s very simple:

IMG_0568.jpg

First of all you have to allocate the 3 correct signals on the mainboard.

1. GND pad (its marked with GND ( seen on the top of picture above)

2. Y-Signal (you can find it on the pin of the left SMD-Resistor (see picture above))

3. C(hroma)-Signal (you can find it on the pin of the right SMD-Resistor (see picture above))

4. now you need a 2,2nF Capacitor and a 3,5mm AV-jack

Take a 3,5mm AV-jack solder the GND to AV-Jack Ground (seen on the picture below,

than you have to solder the Y-signal directly to the AV-jacks Video-Out pin and the Chroma-signal

in chain with th capacitor also to to the AV-jacks Video-Out pin.

(in some cases it could works w/o the capacitor, (only C+Y soldered directly to Video-OUT pin)

IMG_0573.jpg

Finally you have to go to PANDORA´s Settings menu and enable the TV-OUT option

So, thats all!

any households that have commodore64s lying around is great by my book, especially if it is combined

with a solder iron and a pandora :D
Yeah, thats a real nerd life :lol:

Gtx.,

andY

Yes, It could be a good idea to replace the existing AV jack, it´s worth, to think about..

also in replacing the existing jack it would still disable the native speakers when you inserted either headphones or an a/v cord. that woud be so clean!

::EDIT::

could you solder the capacitor directly to the solder points on the board? lay it flat, then run a wire from the leg of the capacitor to the jack. could you use the same ground point the existing jack uses? if not im sure there is one nearby

could you solder the capacitor directly to the solder points on the board? lay it flat, then run a wire from the leg of the capacitor to the jack. could you use the same ground point the existing jack uses? if not im sure there is one nearby
I got another idea. Is ground on the tin shield of USB female? If yes, then ground pin could be soldered directly on this tin and jack could be glued by some proper glue. Then solder capacitor on those resistor pads and wire video signal. I'm not sure if there is enough room next to USB female, bat if Yes, this allow to have video jack nicely embedded.

I got another idea. Is ground on the tin shield of USB female? If yes, then ground pin could be soldered directly on this tin and jack could be glued by some proper glue. Then solder capacitor on those resistor pads and wire video signal. I'm not sure if there is enough room next to USB female, bat if Yes, this allow to have video jack nicely embedded.

i was talking about replacing the normal 3.5mm headphone jack with a 3.5mm audio/video jack. it could be used with either headphones or video output with stereo, it would disable the onboard speakers when you inserted either headphones or video, and you wouldnt need to drill any holes. the headphone jack already has ground.

i was talking about replacing the normal 3.5mm headphone jack with a 3.5mm audio/video jack. it could be used with either headphones or video output with stereo, it would disable the onboard speakers when you inserted either headphones or video, and you wouldnt need to drill any holes. the headphone jack already has ground.
I doubt that there is any difference between T-R-R-S headset and AV (both) 3.5 mm jacks in dimensions. BUT there is big difference in signals. OK, Audio out (audio line out) is just audio and in headphones it will be just too loud. On opossite, earphone out is regulated and it could be connected to line in when loudnes (volume) is set to max. So audio is OK but I'm not sure about same audio wiring on headset and av jacks. What is really different is microphone in and composite video out. I rather not just put some wire from video out to mic in... I really can't imagine how do you mean mixing headset jack with A/V jack wiring on only one jack.

Maybe I just don't get it. I see posibility if audio lines from AV jack has same wiring as audio output on headset and then video signal fits insted of microphone out - so sacrifice headset microphone for video out. This could work and could be easy mod. But anyway, I'll stay and wait for EXT port connectors :)

I see posibility if audio lines from AV jack has same wiring as audio output on headset and then video signal fits insted of microphone out - so sacrifice headset microphone for video out. This could work and could be easy mod. But anyway, I'll stay and wait for EXT port connectors :)

does the existing headphone jack support mic input? well thats a horse of a different color.

This could work and could be easy mod. But anyway, I'll stay and wait for EXT port connectors :)

If you don't mind having another small switch there, you could add a small SPDT switch in there that would switch the third ring on the headphone jack between a video output and a mic input.

Back