Alternative to TV-Out?

ManlyStump

Optoma Pico PK 102

Do you guys think this will work with the Pandora? The resolution seemed pretty limited to me, but I guess if you're playing 80's-early 90's console games it wouldn't be an issue anyway. Plus it would aid to the portability of the Pandora if you could just stick the graphics onto a wall rather than plugging into a TV.

Thoughts?

Ad. Oh, just seen the battery life is only 2 hours! That does seem really poor. :(

how is that an alternative? as I get it this thing has 2 modes:

1 analog video => you'll need your tv out cable...

2 playing MPEG-4, AVI, WMV movies

if you can find one that act as an USB video card that'dd be great, but on this one USB only seems to be there to recharge and copy movie files to internal memory

Still cool in my mind.. I was thinking of getting a portable projector even with composite out.

I'd advise you see one working with the Pandora before you buy. The limited resolution will matter even with retro games, the scaler in these things doesn't tend to do any favours to old analogue signals, and the contrast ratio can make a lot of games look washed out. They are improving rapidly, but they're not 'there' yet, at least where games over S-Video or composite are concerned.

I'm also pretty sure nobody has achieved a sufficient frame rate over USB to make gaming a reason to invest in one yet either :(

I'd advise you see one working with the Pandora before you buy. The limited resolution will matter even with retro games, the scaler in these things doesn't tend to do any favours to old analogue signals, and the contrast ratio can make a lot of games look washed out. They are improving rapidly, but they're not 'there' yet, at least where games over S-Video or composite are concerned.

I'm also pretty sure nobody has achieved a sufficient frame rate over USB to make gaming a reason to invest in one yet either :(

Yeah even regular desktop/laptop PCs(Macs are PCs too Dammit!) have trouble rendering anything that moves with these USB video cards.. this includes games / videos and such.. there great for office work, regular web browsing and such.. but not so much outside of that. USB 2.0 just doesn't have the transfer rate to do it.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about a mini USB monitor? I saw those on Ebay. Would those work? Problably would need a driver of somekind.

I actually have one of these projectors (actually a PK101). It is not very bright, but I can't tell you how cool it is to stand outside my neighbors house and play Aero Fighters on the side of his garage in 10 foot awesomeness, that or show 3 Stooges movies. (I used a Dingoo, composite out). the projector comes with an extra battery so basically 3-4 hours play time (if you're needing more, I have an eveready energizer battery pack that has an adapter that will charge one battery while I use the other). I paid like 100 bucks for mine, also got an adapter for my IPad for video output. Was a good value imho. It is what it is.. but the wow factor makes it worth it imho.

So, I've been anxious about the tv out cable when I first ordered my pandy. I'm 55 years old so my eyes aren't what they used to be.. tv out will make my Pandora 1000 times better for me.

Twiitcher

I had NOTHING to do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back