Alternative To Gp32

johncross85

Startled By Midgets
Website
Visit site
It seems I love my GP32 too much... I use it at home and when going away for a few days but I like the thing too much to just throw it in the bottom of my bag and take everywhere.

So what I'm after is a cheap alternative that I wouldn't mind if it got scratched/dropped/stolen. At the same time I'd rather not be carrying around a bunch of games as well so I'd need to get a few games on one cart.

What are my alternatives? I was thinking maybe a gameboy color with one of those 10-in-1 carts or at a push an original gameboy advance with a flash cart. What sort of prices should I expect to pay used? Is there anything else I should consider?

Cheers!

J(ohn)

johncross85 posted on Feb 10 2005 at 06:28 PM said:
It seems I love my GP32 too much... I use it at home and when going away for a few days but I like the thing too much to just throw it in the bottom of my bag and take everywhere.

So what I'm after is a cheap alternative that I wouldn't mind if it got scratched/dropped/stolen. At the same time I'd rather not be carrying around a bunch of games as well so I'd need to get a few games on one cart.

What are my alternatives? I was thinking maybe a gameboy color with one of those 10-in-1 carts or at a push an original gameboy advance with a flash cart. What sort of prices should I expect to pay used? Is there anything else I should consider?

Cheers!

J(ohn)

Get or make a hard case to put the GP32 in. This way you could throw it in a bag without the fear of busting it. Or you could get a second "beater" unit for taking around.

Getting a GBA with all of those flash carts would probably be as expensive as getting a second GP32.

Last edited by a moderator:
finty101 posted on Feb 10 2005 at 06:34 PM said:
I'll give you an original GBA for £15.

Hmmmm... tempting! How much do you think a flash cart setup would cost?

I am actually tempted to get another GP32 but I've had a quick look on eBay and they seem to be going for £60+ which is a bit pricey.

Cheers!

J(ohn)

johncross85 posted on Feb 10 2005 at 07:04 PM said:
finty101 posted on Feb 10 2005 at 06:34 PM said:
I'll give you an original GBA for £15.

Hmmmm... tempting! How much do you think a flash cart setup would cost?

I am actually tempted to get another GP32 but I've had a quick look on eBay and they seem to be going for £60+ which is a bit pricey.

Cheers!

J(ohn)

What kind of GP32 is it? Do you have a FLU, BLU, NLU? If you don't have a BLU maybe get one of those and use the other for a "beater" .

I even have a spare 166 Mhz BLU (Not BLU +) that I could sell as I just bought a 180 MHZ BLU from Jr2swiss. You could take advantage of the weak USD too.

The thing with a GBA is that those flash cards are EXPENSIVE for the size that they are. They are always stated in megabits to so that is a bit misleading.

I just take my gp32 with me anyway. Just put it in a case, put that in a backpack, and take extra special care of them.

In my case:

GP32
2 SMCS
Radioshack Multivoltage Power bank (holds/charges 4 batteries, and is DC-DC adapter + AC-DC adapter) + AC adapter cable
lens cleaning cloths for the screen
hand sanitizer so I don't get grime on it.
headphones
usb cable

And that case goes in my backpack. GP32 basic survival kit!

Then all you have to do is hope it isn't stolen... But then again, its harder to steal it
if its in a backpack on someones back. I should probably buy a backpack lock.

DaveC posted on Feb 11 2005 at 01:57 AM said:
What kind of GP32 is it? Do you have a FLU, BLU, NLU? If you don't have a BLU maybe get one of those and use the other for a "beater" .

I even have a spare 166 Mhz BLU (Not BLU +) that I could sell as I just bought a 180 MHZ BLU from Jr2swiss. You could take advantage of the weak USD too.

The thing with a GBA is that those flash cards are EXPENSIVE for the size that they are. They are always stated in megabits to so that is a bit misleading.

That is a VERY good point! Mine's an old NLU and can only go to 156mhz. How much do you want for the 166mhz BLU? What condition is it in?

Cheers Matey!

J(ohn)

I have a FLU where the light doesn't work. I'm thinking of selling that. it OC's to 164. Also has a slight crack in the upper right of the screen, but think that can be replaced with a screen mod, but when I've used it the crack doesn't bother me at all. Anyways, just thinkin of selling it if you or anyone else is interested.

Back