Alternate Armstrong Boot-images

PSyMastR

\m/O__O\m/
Website
Visit site
Did you guys ever notice how unattractive the Armstrong boot up image is (like, the screen that shows it loading). Since we can rule out start-up animations for now, lets try to create an attractive splash screen so when we do restart the Pandora, it looks sexy. Here is my attempt at such a thing. I used bits of the Pandora SVG logo mixed with an idea I saw on someone's wallpaper.

PandoraLoadingScreen.png

Post your's here! Lets get some sexy splash screens!

Last edited by a moderator:
'cb88' said:
disregarding the spelling correction ... how would you go about typing that on a us keyboard?
Well, the official way seems to be Angstrom :)

You may have a key with two dots on it ¨, that's an umlaut. You can use it for letters like ö but for Å you can hold down Alt and press the ASCII code 143 on your numpad. ö is 148 if yo have no umlaut key.

I like (naw)mcx's. It doesn't need to say the word "loading". It's implied. You boot it, turn it on for the first time, it going to load. These days, I can't think of anything with a screen that doesn't have a certain "warm up time", apart from my actual TV. But even then I'm sure TVs of the future will have a full blown OS, with more widgets than you can shake the remote at. http://www.boston.com/business/technology/...idgets_on_hdtv/

"Loading" is for those who don't know what it's doing. If you're going in and changing the boot screen yourself, then you know what it will be doing when you see that picture.

However, a subtle progress bar is necessary and (naw)mcx's idea is attractive at the same time.

'sverm' said:
I like (naw)mcx's. It doesn't need to say the word "loading". It's implied. You boot it, turn it on for the first time, it going to load...
-----
However, a subtle progress bar is necessary and (naw)mcx's idea is attractive at the same time.
+1 The second one with the slight drop shadow looks the best IMO.

EDIT: I think that it would be nice to have Angstrom on there somewhere too. Credit where credits due ;)

The only problem is they said static images only, so it can't change besides the progress bar as seen in the bootup video by MWeston

'Tripmonkey_uk' said:
'sverm' said:
I like (naw)mcx's. It doesn't need to say the word "loading". It's implied. You boot it, turn it on for the first time, it going to load...
-----
+1 The second one with the slight drop shadow looks the best IMO.

EDIT: I think that it would be nice to have Angstrom on there somewhere too. Credit where credits due ;)

I'll get on that ;)
(I'm glad you like it though, and PSyMastR, would that loading bar style not work?)

As sexy as your loading screen is. I do not believe that it will work like that. I think its just a loading bar, sort of how ubuntu's is on start up.

PSyMastR said:
As sexy as your loading screen is. I do not believe that it will work like that. I think its just a loading bar, sort of how ubuntu's is on start up.
Well, AFAIK, the ubuntu splash screen is just like any other USplash spash screen: basically a .so that gets called to paint the screen. This .so can do whatever it wants when it draws the screen; there's a function that gets called with the progress percentage etc. that expects an image to get created. Pretty dynamic.

The question remains, of course, if 1. Ångström's bootloader has the same capabilities and 2. if it's worth it to render drop shadows every frame performace-wise (it would increase boot time for sure).

'PSyMastR' said:
Alright, I get you.. I'll try something else, but I'll have to start from scratch photoshop died before I could get a PSD.

Back