Caanoo / WIZ Adding More Codecs To The Caanoo?

Jengo

Website
Visit site
I have lots of media in lots of different codecs such as .rmvb, .mkv, and .ogm. How difficult would it be to upgrade the media capabilities?

i don't think the default mediaplayer will receive any updates regarding codecs.

did you try mplayer: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,114,525 ? you can add extension in the conf/extensions file...

crow_riot said:
i don't think the default mediaplayer will receive any updates regarding codecs.

did you try mplayer: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/caanoo.cgi?0,0,0,0,114,525 ? you can add extension in the conf/extensions file...

Yes, but this only means, MPlayer recognizes the file as a video file, it didn't mean MPlayer can play the file, cause the codec had to be there, tried MPlayer with some mkvs, that included a H264, had no luck. Both, MPlayer and the internal player are way to slow to play files flawless without recoding them in a lower resolution. Funny, the Dingoo, a cheap player from china, has hardware video decoding build- in, and doesn't have this problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
CKeichel said:
crow_riot said:

Yes, but this only means, MPlayer recognizes the file as a video file, it didn't mean MPlayer can play the file, cause the codec had to be there, tried MPlayer with some mkvs, that included a H264, had no luck. Both, MPlayer and the internal player are way to slow to play files flawless without recoding them in a lower resolution. Funny, the Dingoo, a cheap player from china, has hardware video decoding build- in, and doesn't have this problems.

Are you telling me that those cheaper Chinese Dingoos have better media capabilities then the Caanoo? How is that possible? I thought they were similar hardware?

EDIT:: Nevermind... i just looked up the specs, the dingoo uses different tech, but still, the caanoo appears to be more powerful.

Jengo said:
CKeichel said:
crow_riot said:

Are you telling me that those cheaper Chinese Dingoos have better media capabilities then the Caanoo? How is that possible? I thought they were similar hardware?

EDIT:: Nevermind... i just looked up the specs, the dingoo uses different tech, but still, the caanoo appears to be more powerful.

Powerful is a difficult term. In some aspects, the Dingoo is much more powerful, than the Caanoo. The media capabilities of the device are much better, cause the video and mp3 and flacc decoding is done in hardware. This allows the Dingoo to run at fantastic 336 MHz, wich saves battery power and allows up to 10 hours of nonstop running time. Additionally, you get full real media support, a codec, that is not free and that is not available on so many portable platforms. Last but not least, it is not necessary to reencode the videos in a smaller resolution, cause this is done by the hardware too. All these aspects make the Dingoo much more powerful for video playback, than the Caanoo.

The Dingoo is designed as a media player with good emulator support, this means, the native firmware is much more powerful than the Cannoo, when it comes to media features. You have nice sorting functions for your music library, you have tons of sound schemes, etc. Nothing of this can be found on the internal player of the Caanoo. So you can say, the Dingoo has a much more powerful Interface, than the Caanoo. In general, the media capabilities of the Dingoo are much better than those of the Caanoo and this can't be changed by software, because it is a hardware thing.

Wwhen it comes to CPU processing power and the GPU, the Caanoo is definitely more powerful, but in other fields, the Caanoo is inferior to the Dingoo.

So, is there a method to add this functionality to the Caanoo? What about developing a custom media player for caanoo? Would it work?

the only hardware acceleration that is available on the caanoo is already included. that's not much, it's just converting YUV420 to an RGB texture to draw on the screen.

Jengo said:
So, is there a method to add this functionality to the Caanoo? What about developing a custom media player for caanoo? Would it work?

Any custom media player has to decode the existing videocodecs, there isn't much room for optimisation, the decoding has to be done in software by the processor and if the processor simply isn't fast enough (it seems so, if I look at the internal player and the MPlayer), nothing can be done.
You can't add hardware decoding, that is done by the processor, like it is done on the Dingoo, to the Caanoo.

Here's a tip, you can just use DivX media converter.
Drag and drop some videos to the converter, use the mobile profile (320x240) and you'll get some .divx video files outside.
Change the extension to .avi and they'll play on your caanoo.

Back