About Speccyal'k Future...

We may not see any further development of this as the author, Tyrell, is currently working on a Spectrum emulator for the Dreamcast. I suppose it is possible though that some improvements from that may get moved to the GP32 version, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sad what would be if Tyrell got to leave Speccyal'K for GP32 :-(
Let us hope that it is not thus.

I would be arranged if it were necessary to help testing games or anything :)

Sad is also no porting finally TheHiVE's GBA's ZXAdvance to GP32... :-(

Thanks for your answers DJWillis and WhizzBang ;-)

¡Larga Vida al Spectrum!
¡Y Vida al Spectrum en la GP! :)

Good Bye.

Yup, sad indeed. But a recent interview with Rlyeh revealed that he only got into GP32 programming for Spectrum emulation, so there is a chance that he will come up with something special, when you consider how good his MSX, GB and SMS emulators are.
I am very happy with Speccyal'K though as it supports save states and full screen but I would love to see something on the GP32 as good as ZX Advance, and maybe Rlyeh is the only person left to care enough to try to do this.

Oops, missed all these posts :)
So some peoples get worried about the fufure of Speccyal'K hey ?
The good news is that the DC version of Speccyal'K is progressing each day.
An even better news is that I have not abandonned the development of the Gp32 version.

Currently I have added support for a better (almost perfect) .TAP support, with autoloading. There's also (phew! at last!) a correct line by line border rendering.
All these updated or new features should normally be added to the gp32 version as soon as I have finished to add the .TZX code (not so easy!). The chatboard support is still planned as well.

One question is lurking somewhere in my mind : is it worth working on this emulator when 2 *very* hot speccy emus are planned on the gp32 (I mean rlyeh's and TheHive's versions) ? It's also a little bit true that at the moment I prefer working on the DC version, because no other speccy emu is planned (at least I haven't heard of any), it's a greater challenge and it's very pleasant too to develop on the DC.

But I think I won't let you down. You can count on me to add at least the updated .tap support and border rendering code.

_tyrell_

Speccyal'K is actually pretty damn good already! I found it a bit confusing at first but it's an emu that's really grown on me - especially when I got my head around swapping between 48k and 128k modes to play .sna and .z80 files... Those speccy games are gradually taking over my SMC :)

Any additions/improvements would be much appreciated but it's great in it's current incarnation!

J(ohn)

sounds great tyrell! good work as ever!

I can send you a reduced version of the DC artwork i did for you.

Also, perhaps you should get in contact with Rlyeh and or Reesy and get your mits on that nice Z80 ARM ASM core!

I didn't say *every* .tap file would be working. There are exceptions. I simply said that the new code has dramatically raised the compatibility level.

It also depends on the version you got. Some versions of a same game are working, some others not ... Believe me.

(Going back to TZX code ...)

_tyrell_

ok, well good luck with it. i really bought my gp32 to play speccy games and havent goy any of the games i wanted to play to work :(

so ill look forward to the new version.

keep us informed !

gp32_console

The new code will definitely help you to play all those games (the feedback from the users of the DC version is very positive about the new .TAP code).
And I've got some good ideas for a working TZX code. I'm busy coding it right now !

_tyrell_

FX23 posted on Jul 1 2004 at 05:49 PM said:
ok, well good luck with it. i really bought my gp32 to play speccy games and havent goy any of the games i wanted to play to work :(

so ill look forward to the new version.

keep us informed !

gp32_console
Have you tried looking for .sna versions of the games you are wanting to play, Worth a look.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:
_tyrell_ posted on Jul 1 2004 at 10:56 AM said:
I didn't say *every* .tap file would be working. There are exceptions. I simply said that the new code has dramatically raised the compatibility level.

It also depends on the version you got. Some versions of a same game are working, some others not ... Believe me.

(Going back to TZX code ...)

_tyrell_
Should TZX be more reliable for loading than TAP?

Thx for a great emulator..been playing Action Force 2 today..nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back