A Very Hard Decision

Boaradoor

Still Fresh
It might be easier for other people to make, but not me.
Should I get a GP2x wiz or caanoo.
They both do the same thing, but the caanoo has more power?

They have the same power. What should be your deciding factor is screensize vs pocketability, lcd vs amoled, dpad vs analogue stick, and how easy it is to add internet. The wiz needs an extra cable, both need a wifi dongle. The caanoo also has vibrator, and g-sensor, but unless you are a programmer, maybe you should not base your decision on that.

/Uni

u9i said:
They have the same power. What should be your deciding factor is screensize vs pocketability, lcd vs amoled, dpad vs analogue stick, and how easy it is to add internet. The wiz needs an extra cable, both need a wifi dongle. The caanoo also has vibrator, and g-sensor, but unless you are a programmer, maybe you should not base your decision on that.

/Uni

Thank you for your post. The only technical difference I see between the two is the ram. Is that extra amount really going to make a difference? Right now I am leaning towards the wiz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well personally I would always go for the newer machine as it's likely got a longer life span than the other two models, also double ram could make a massive difference for loading large roms that 64 megs just couldn't handle !

Also as said the caanoo has the g censor and vibrating motor.

On the other hand the caanoo doesn't have many emulators yet or much other software compared to the wiz and the wiz has loads of everything and at a mature state...

If your willing to wait a little while I would say the caanoo is the best option as most wiz/gp2x software will be mostly porter and in some cases improved using that extra ram, plus if Ginger gets porter to caanoo all wiz software will work on the caanoo! Win win situation :)

Paul3100

I went with the Caanoo for the following reasons...

1.) Larger screen size: 3.5in vs. 2.8in on the Wiz.
2.) Larger form factor: I've got pretty big hands and the Caanoo is comfortable to hold. Based on it's size, the Wiz would be uncomfortable to hold over longer periods of time for someone like me.
3.) Button Arrangement: The A-Y-X-B button arrangement seemed more usable than the pseudo directional pad arraignment found on the Wiz. Also, the two "Help" buttons on the left of the Caanoo give you more options when playing shooter vertically, which is a nice little bonus.
4.) USB host functionality.

One isn't really better than the other, it really comes down to what options are important for you and which ones you can live with out. In any case, I've had my Caanoo since Monday and it's been a phenomenal device... I doubt you'd be disappointed. :)

Depends on where you live.

These guys ship around the world: http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-14-71-d1-49-en.html

I would also recommend the caanoo, It just looks better and feels better and the extra ram is also faster(DDR) then the Ram on the wiz(SDRAM) and has more use then a lot of people think, especially with large roms.

The Caanoo is the smarter choice to go with. Just one more question.. When are games at the fungp store going to work with the Caanoo? I know they have the new line up coming out, but the older ones. Namely Redemption Lair.

Edit:
I just realized that they have Caanoo and Wiz versions of each game.

ive never bought from them, but it looks like a good store. If your afraid then just use paypal. I see that they accept it at the bottom.

hmmm..

i have both
i like both

But emulators are more mature with a gp2x wiz.

Oled screen is a dream. the colors, no blur when fast moving from left to right.

But its a small screen vs the caanoo screen at 3.5'.

hard to choice. But if i have to keep one of them, i will keep my wiz. i prefer the d-pad over the stick. but the stick work great.

it doesn't look like the wiz can charge and use it's usb port at the same time without any additional accessories. that is something you might want to consider when playing multiplayer games with another controller or through wifi and using tv out!

blues2 said:
it doesn't look like the wiz can charge and use it's usb port at the same time without any additional accessories. that is something you might want to consider when playing multiplayer games with another controller or through wifi and using tv out!

Didnt know that, thats pretty good to know for those multi-player set-ups

Jengo said:
blues2 said:

Didnt know that, thats pretty good to know for those multi-player set-ups

yeah the extra usb host was the deciding factor for me more than anything else.! the caanoo's'/wiz's tv out cable allows you to charge and have tv out at the same time. so the caanoo allows you to have all three functions at the same time (usb, charging, and tv out) while the wiz only allows tv out and charging at the same time. usb usage also drains the battery dramatically so you WILL need to be able to charge at the same time!

I took in everyone's opinions, and have decided on the Caanoo! :)

Some my reasoning is that the Caanoo is the latest and will have the longer support, plus emulation can only build upon from the wiz, meaning better gaming.
Also alot of people mentioned the whole reasoning behind the fact that Caanoo allows you to use the usb, charge and use the tv out function all at one. This was extremely important to me and was a huge factoring in my decision.

Back