A Technology Puzzle

mindlord

Notices Two Things
Website
Visit site
Here's a Puzzle. I have a Rooted Android Phone (Cyanogen 7.1) which I USB Tether to my Pandora to get connectivity.

In today's mad science experiment I find myself wanting to SSH into my Pandora from a machine on another network. Does anyone know of a way to forward SSH traffic from the Android phone over USB tether to the Pandora so that I can browse the Pandora's filesystem from the PC on the "Alien" network?

For the purposes of this experiment there is no "allowed" way to get my Pandora on the same network as the connecting machine to simplify things. However there is no problem for me to get out of this Alien network and a SSH connection could theoretically be made with the Android phone without a problem.

Ideas?

I suppose it depends on wether or not you can connect to your phones IP address, as changes are its a shared IP I know o2 in the uk has shared ip address meaning it would be quite dificult to reach a specific device, though im sure it should be possible.

once you get past that barrior I suppose if you can tether then there must be a way to forward the ssh traffic to the pandora like you can do with a reuter

Is there any dynamic DNS services you can update from the phone automatically?

I'm using Dyndns for my home network and it works very well, maybe there is an app for that :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Success.

I found an app called "Port Forward" that allows me to alter the NAT tables on the phone to forward port an arbitrary port to port 22 on my Pandora's DropBear server. Thankfully my phone has a single public IP Address. Now If there's a DYNDNS app out there I can code between calls again without too much hassle. This is a good day.

Addendum: Found a dynamic dns app for Android as well, but it doesn't support for free dns provider of choice. :unsure:

Addendum II: This setup is still less than Ideal. On 3G the IP Address changes frequently, and the IP Tables are not being updated on the phone. It works to a fashion, but anytime the IP changes a few clicks on the phone are needed to make everything work again. Still it's better than nothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a hold of the developer, and we are working together to add freedns.afraid.org to his application. I can see the advantages to having a domain name for my phone. :)

Back