a mupen64 question

tdude10

Still Fresh
Please excuse if this is the wrong subforum, (it seemed the best to me)

I've had my pandora in hand for maybe 24 hours now, and one thing has jumped at me: Lack of good N64 emulation. Mupen64plus emulates semi-laggy without sound, and with souund its nightmarish. For me, sound is just as, if not more important to me than video.

So I must ask, what would it take to get this emulator on the track to success? I have limited knowledge of coding ect. now, but I'm an incredibly swift learner. If someone with a little better knowledge could point me in the right direction, that'd be great. One reason I bought the pandora was to learn, and if someone is willing to teach, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

-tdude10

You posted in the right section however:

1) Nobody here has the time / patience to teach unfortunately. I'd be looking to research Assembly, OpenGL, OpenGL to OpenGLES, OpenGLES, Nintendo 64 Architecture, ARM architecture, High Level Emulation, Optimisation and plenty of other things.

I've had my pandora in hand for maybe 24 hours now, and one thing has jumped at me: Lack of good N64 emulation. Mupen64plus emulates semi-laggy without sound, and with souund its nightmarish. For me, sound is just as, if not more important to me than video.

So I must ask, what would it take to get this emulator on the track to success? I have limited knowledge of coding ect. now, but I'm an incredibly swift learner. If someone with a little better knowledge could point me in the right direction, that'd be great. One reason I bought the pandora was to learn, and if someone is willing to teach, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

-tdude10

Open the config file and lower the resolution and increase the frame rate to 2.

That's all nice for working games that run slow but it doesn't help for those which don't run.

Mupen 64 needs work, especially in it's compatibility list.

I can hardly play any games I'd like to.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant even play Mike tysons punch out on the NES.

So start with NES emulation and apply your quick learnin's to fixing that.

Thanks,

-tdude10
Yes ! Someone

Else

Who

Agrees

That

We

Need better sound N64 emulation !

You guys could beg the project64 team to make an arm version :)

Mupen on the pandora is ported as well as it possibly could i think, the devs did an excellent job on it, Mupen just isnt as far yet as project64, sadly the latter isnt open source, nor is there an arm version.

Which kinda sucks, if theres one platform besides saturn that should be developed in open source collaboration it is the n64, because n64 emulation requires optimization per game, which is a lot of work.

Project64 is full of low level x86 stuff afaik.so it might not be possible even for them as it would require major rewrites.

Is therte no advanced N64 Emulator that is already "full of low level ARM stuff?" I mean, Android, iOS & Co. have a bazillion apps, I bet there already is a "perfect" N64" emulator that could be ported to Pandora somewhere. No need to re-invent the wheel (I hope). ^^

Maybe someone should try the Android N64 emulator on the 1Ghz unit?

There seem to be a lot of people who want improvement, but when I started the other thread to get some vital FPS results no one seemed to want to provide them.

When I have my own 1Ghz unit I'll do it. I may even consider the possibility of tidying up the current emulator to some extent if I have time.

Is therte no advanced N64 Emulator that is already "full of low level ARM stuff?" I mean, Android, iOS & Co. have a bazillion apps, I bet there already is a "perfect" N64" emulator that could be ported to Pandora somewhere. No need to re-invent the wheel (I hope). ^^

The big leap in arm n64 emulation was made by ari64, who did the dynarec. He directly developed this for Pandora, so we were on the pulse there.

Now there is nobody who improves the emulator itself, but afaik almost every arm n64 emulator uses this dynarec by now.

Most (I would even bet all) N64-Emulators for the other arm-based machines are using "our" improvements to mupen64plus. It still is the best open-source N64-Emulator avaiable. If you wan't to complain, try to improve the situation yourself first.

EDIT: mcobit beat me to it.

The big leap in arm n64 emulation was made by ari64, who did the dynarec. He directly developed this for Pandora, so we were on the pulse there.

Now there is nobody who improves the emulator itself, but afaik almost every arm n64 emulator uses this dynarec by now.
So we still have the best ARM mobile N64 Emu? Cool. B)

I didn't knew that but it is nice to see, that our Pandora indeed is a valuable dev platform for ARM programs. I hope people are paying more attention to the Pandora. ^^

If you really want to work on Mupen, work on the GFX plugin ;)

Edit: It seems the graphics plugin is linked to SDL.. I'm curious, has anyone tried using Notaz's SDL update for it?

Yes, but the important features of notaz sdl are the scaler and touchscreentranslation. The rest is not different than normal sdl and so its useless with mupen.

Back