A-data 4gb 150x => Max 1gb (tried 3 Diff Methods!)

[CTG]ChAoS Overlord

Still Fresh
After reading on these forums that lots of people are happy with their A-DATA memcard, I can't say that I am. I bought this card here in Belgium, put it in my cardreader and formatted under windows xp with the GP2X.

Darn, only 1 GB available, so I retried with my builtin cardreader on my laptop: same problem. Then I switched to linux on the laptop removed the partition (/part1) but was still left with the disc info (can't remove this /disc). Fdisk and mkfs didn't help at all. Here also, the problem remained. So then I tried it with the build in linux in the GP2x, doesn't work, wasn't even able to umount the /mnt/sd.

So here I am with a quarter of the promised capacity... What do I do? How can i really reset the info? Somebody suggested the transcend utility, but it won't budge with my card?

Shikaku posted on Jul 17 2006 at 03:50 PM said:
CARD READER CARD READER CARD READER CARD READER CARD READER

Edit: Err.. I'm sorry, buy a card reader. It is required you have an external card reader.

Gee, you're totally wrong as he stated quite clearly that he did use his card-reader, and the one on his laptop as well. So do us all a favor and READ THE POST *BEFORE* you assume what is going on.

As to the original poster...you have to re-format the card as a FAT32 fomat using quickformat. That is a surefire way to fix it. You probably formatted it to regular FAT format qwhich only allows 1gb of the 4gb to be used.

DSR

Last edited by a moderator:
i had the same problem with a 2Go MMC-card, using it with my GP2X (my sister took the card reader...)
--> use an external USB card reader!!
(i bought mine about 10€)

dsraa posted on Jul 17 2006 at 12:01 PM said:
CARD READER CARD READER CARD READER CARD READER CARD READER

Edit: Err.. I'm sorry, buy a card reader. It is required you have an external card reader.

Gee, you're totally wrong as he stated quite clearly that he did use his card-reader, and the one on his laptop as well. So do us all a favor and READ THE POST *BEFORE* you assume what is going on.

As to the original poster...you have to re-format the card as a FAT32 fomat using quickformat. That is a surefire way to fix it. You probably formatted it to regular FAT format qwhich only allows 1gb of the 4gb to be used.

DSR

I did read the post. Laptop card readers are crap anyway.

Well, I did only get to use the laptop card reader indeed.

I have formatted tot fat32 and done a quickformat aftwerwards, sorry I forgot to mention it. I will try with a friend of mine's card reader later tonight.

ChAoS Overlord posted on Jul 17 2006 at 04:11 PM said:
Well, I did only get to use the laptop card reader indeed.

I have formatted tot fat32 and done a quickformat aftwerwards, sorry I forgot to mention it. I will try with a friend of mine's card reader later tonight.

ahhhh...ok. Then yes, a external card-reader would be the last solution that would be possible to use. If you formated it on your laptops card-reader, it should have worked, even if it is a crappy generic reader, it still qualifies as a card reader.....so I dunno.

DSR

I went to a friend of mine and his external card reader did recognize it as a 4 GB card, but it wouldn't format it correctly. Now it's become a useless piece of plastic, none of my card readers will read it anymore and my GP2X simply locks up upon insertion of the card... :p

Anybody still know of a solution...

ChAoS Overlord posted on Jul 17 2006 at 04:03 PM said:
I went to a friend of mine and his external card reader did recognize it as a 4 GB card, but it wouldn't format it correctly. Now it's become a useless piece of plastic, none of my card readers will read it anymore and my GP2X simply locks up upon insertion of the card... :p

Anybody still know of a solution...

Try a full format (uncheck quick format).

Then try deleting the partition and then formatting.

What way of deleting the partition would you recommend? In windows (XP) this isn't possible, my GP2X won't let me insert the card without locking up any more, and under ubuntu the only thing that I know that does it are (G)parted and fdisk...

That doesn't work, it's impossible to remove the partition from the microsoft management console because it's just grayed out. I think that should be the same for your SD card also.

ChAoS Overlord posted on Jul 17 2006 at 04:57 PM said:
That doesn't work, it's impossible to remove the partition from the microsoft management console because it's just grayed out. I think that should be the same for your SD card also.
There is no partition, that is why M$ NT(XP) throws a cow.

I had to use Suse Live and the Partition editor in that to make a partition in the first place, or remove one.

Then format it. Windows doesn't like partitionless devices so much (or at least can't help you with them).

ChAoS Overlord posted on Jul 18 2006 at 02:33 AM said:
GParted on my ubuntu live won't work on the card anymore, neither will fdisk. I think it's FUBAR... :'(
I hope you can send it back and get a refund, where did you buy it?

I have this problem with A-Data 4gb . I format it in cardreader =) and now it is 4gb!

My card reader could only format to 1 gb as well, I had to format mine through the gp2x and usb, took freaking forever. Some card readers have a 1 gb size limit, read the fine print!

not all cardreaders are created equal. Just because you're using a cardreader doesn't mean it will work with the 4GB cards...particularly if its an older one.

FWIW, I have this same card and could only format to 1GB in GP2X, but could get the full 4GB from my desktop cardreader.

in linux do

1. su
2. *password*
3. mkdosf -F 32 -I /dev/sda (or sdb,sdc or what the heck u have it in)

now format in winxp FULL format not the quick one

Back