A clear case for a clear case

Damn! Those restrictions are becoming truly ludicrous. I sadly don't think a clear case would improve the transportability of the Pyra under such circumstances as I don't expect flight personnal to understand what internal components they're looking at. Also, one potential bomb remains in all devices "over a certain size": the Li-Po battery.

More likely to be the saving grace is the 4G module. None of the device bans so far has gone after 'phones'. Bring a plug-in headset with mic and it is a 'phone'.

Still a tad bigger than any mobile phone made in the last ten years, to be best of my knowledge.

I considered instead taking mine apart, and reassembling it once on board, but I'm not sure they'd let you on with any sort of screwdriver to be fair.

@Grench According to the original article:
The restrictions, which also apply to tablets, DVD players and phones over a certain size, follow a similar US ban affecting eight countries.
I have no idea what this specifically means, but I'm pretty sure the Pyra would look a bit to quirky and fat to get through if they actually act on these promises.

I considered instead taking mine apart, and reassembling it once on board, but I'm not sure they'd let you on with any sort of screwdriver to be fair.
To my knowledge, screw drivers are considered way to dangerous as you could stab someone with them. But it admittedly has been a few years since I have last boarded a plane.

that stuff is getting more and more ridiculous :| at some point they'll probably ban belts because you could strangle the pilot or use it as a whip to threaten people... and last week i accidentally cut myself with a very hard piece of bread, so i guess even that could be considered a (ridiculous) dangerous object xD
[...]and reassembling it once on board[...]
they'd instantly call security on you D: you could be assembling some sort of bomb trigger device or something!

pyra dimensions:
139 x 87 x 32 mm
13.9 x 8.7 x 3.2 cm

The ban applies to any device larger than 16cm long, 9.3cm wide or 1.5cm deep. It includes smart phones, but most fall inside these limits.

uh oh...

this is an attack on the Pyra! i especially wanted it for flights as it's small.... :(

Way back when... like roughly year 2000...

My traveling equipment was:
TRG Pro. It is a Palm Pilot like device with a CF slot.
A palm quad folding keyboard that the TRG pro slotted into.
A CF 56K modem, dongle and RJ45 wire.
I also ran with a 256MB CF card for it - that I had to swap out with the modem.

I assembled this in my economy class seat and plugged into the in-flight phone to establish a roughly 1200 baud data connection to sync email in-flight. The flight attendants were amazed. Now, seeing a rig like that, they would potentially divert the flight.

I still have the TRG pro. I haven't used it in years. Part of my 'collection' now.

I don't think it's that they don't want our money. I think the government forces them to do this, because the public complains that it's not secure/protected/safe enough. So really it may be our own fault.

I don't think it's that they don't want our money. I think the government forces them to do this, because the public complains that it's not secure/protected/safe enough. So really it may be our own fault.
You seem to make a clear distinction between "the government" and "economic lobbies", how odd.

Speculating here. At some point a raid or intelligence operative may have found plans or even a working model using the volume of an electronic device for malicious intentions.

When I first started traveling with a computer, normal security screening after the X-ray machine included powering the computer on and showing the pre-TSA security official that the device was indeed a working computer. At the time I was traveling with an IBM PS/2 model P75 portable server. I had modded it out from stock 486/33 into a 486/133DX with 16MB of RAM and two internal 1GB SCSI drives. Weight? About 45 pounds. It was quite possibly the most powerful 'lugable' computer in existence at the time. It required an AC power source and about 5 minutes to unpack it from it's travel case and set it up. Another 4 minutes to boot up into OS/2 Warp Server. Another 3 minutes to shut down. Another 5 minutes to re-pack into it's travel bag. Throw in some small talk and finding a place to set it up the process consumed roughly 20 minutes beyond the then normal security wait times for both me and the security agent. At the time, very few people had laptops and far fewer still traveled with 'lugables'.

A similar screening process simply would not be 'good enough' today. A hacker built laptop using the stock case of any 'thick' donor machine, keyboard & monitor with a pi board could still boot and look "normal" while still leaving significant in-case volume for nefarious purposes.

Maybe this thread is onto something though. If all computing devices were required to be clear cased for visual inspection, that may be a step toward making this type of scenario obsolete. But, the average TSA agent won't be able to state much more than that it turns on and has electronic looking thingies and a black box presumably a battery in it.

Lucky for me I won't be flying out of any of the countries on the list any day soon. However, bans like this have a tendency to expand. Maybe in the future we will get limited to 'electronic devices of no more than x by y by z dimensions (or internal volume) weighing no more than w. Full sized laptops could become extinct overnight in that scenario.

Lucky for me I won't be flying out of any of the countries on the list any day soon. However, bans like this have a tendency to expand. Maybe in the future we will get limited to 'electronic devices of no more than x by y by z dimensions (or internal volume) weighing no more than w. Full sized laptops could become extinct overnight in that scenario.
Have you opened the link in OP?

_95259013_device_travel_banned_inf624.png

I don't think this really needs an intelligence operation - we've already had laptop bombs going off:
Code:
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-35521646

Whether getting people to put their bombs laptops in the hold will do anything for security is a different matter. I'd guess you need a slightly larger quantity of explosive, in case it's packed right in the middle amongst other bags, but you don't really need to hide it inside a laptop in that case. I think I've heard cases of hold baggage exploding and take out a plane, probably on a TV programme or other.

Edit: Seems the stupid forum embedding attacks bbc links too :(

Have you opened the link in OP?

_95259013_device_travel_banned_inf624.png

I had not. Interesting though. So, with 4G Pyra's phone capabilities and dimensions of 14cm x 8.4cm x 2.9cm...

It's the thickness that might raise eyebrows, but according to that it's specs would be 'ok'. I'm surprised they didn't include a 3rd dimension in the rules though.

DS / 3DS / Vita and Android consoles, GPD Win, are not there either.

But the Switch is out I guess...

What about smartwatches? Watches not smart but big enough?
And Google glass...
And...
Yeah, this is getting ridiculous. Unless it's an early april fool.

DS / 3DS / Vita and Android consoles, GPD Win, are not there either.

Funny that there isn't a limit on the number of phones you can travel with... Picture 3 in-spec smartphones with each having 1/4 of a keyboard that folds down from them in portrait mode which then snap together to form a full sized laptop keyboard with 3 nearly bezel free displays side by side. Maybe that will become a thing?

But - the limitations may be interpreted to dimensions AND being a 'smartphone'. In that case anything without telephony support would potentially fail. In that case, theoretically, a 4G Pyra could fly and a non-4G Pyra would not. A funny twist would be that your old no longer in service phone that you use as a miniature WiFi tablet and remote control could fly, but an equal sized tablet without onboard phone support could not.

Get to the airport. Check your 'checked bag'. Travel to security with your carry on. Find out your $$$ device flunks their test by whatever measure the security agent has been told to use. Then what? Your main bag is already checked and cannot be easily recalled so you can repack and you're in the middle of a security line.

Airport security services are going to wind up with barrels full of tablets, laptops, battery packs... I wonder if they'll keep them separate from the barrels of shampoo, hair gel, deodorant, baby formula and half drank bottles of soda.

If these rules get applied more broadly to places I fly, I'll be skipping the electronic kiosk for check in so that I can tie up an airline ticket agent's time going through my planned carry on devices one by one and declaring them OK or not OK. That is not an efficient solution either.

It will take some time for these regulations to get ironed out. In the meantime there are going to be a lot of very bored people on some very long haul flights. Physical book sales might skyrocket?

Back