75% Off Quake At Steam

Quake does not use WAD files (well, for textures but you do not mean those). You mean the game data. For Quake that is pak1.pak. Yes, you can use it for the Pandora. But be aware that the Steam version of Quake does not include any soundtrack.

Spirit said:
Quake does not use WAD files (well, for textures but you do not mean those). You mean the game data. For Quake that is pak1.pak. Yes, you can use it for the Pandora. But be aware that the Steam version of Quake does not include any soundtrack.

Is it all of the Quakes on Steam that don't have music?

I only need the first one, own 2 and 3.

Edit: Given the discount on the Quake Collection, I might as well buy that and not have to root around in the cupboard for the discs, for a similar price to buying just Q1 and the mission packs separately.

Last edited by a moderator:
quadomatic said:
Wait, only the first Quake doesn't have music on Steam, right?

If we get this, can we use the pak files for the ioquake3 port? According to the ioquake3 website, you'd use the pak0.pk3.
I would suspect Quake 2 doesn't have music either, as both Quake 1 and Quake 2 has its music as Red Book soundtracks inside the CD. You need special Quake 1 and Quake 2 ports that can play music through mp3 and rip the cd music to such format, and I seriously doubt they've either modify the Quake source to support it or use a port.

Not that it is going to much of a use with the pandora as Pickle's Quake 2 port (and most likely Quake 1 future port) don't have support for such soundtracks.

Other than that, all quakes had their full game inside the pak files. To play the game either on the pandora or a port, just copy such files (two files most of the time, a shareware one and their registered complement) and that's it, full game.

quadomatic said:
Ah that sucks, and the Quake music was a industry first since a big time artist, Trent Reznor of NIN, did the music. For Quake it has to be possible to find it somewhere used or even new. I bought my copy years and years later and it had the original music from Trent Reznor on it. I find it strange that they aren't on the Steam version though, Trent Reznor is usually pretty lax about royalties and such, at least more lax than other artists.

second exodous said:
quadomatic said:
Ah that sucks, and the Quake music was a industry first since a big time artist, Trent Reznor of NIN, did the music. For Quake it has to be possible to find it somewhere used or even new. I bought my copy years and years later and it had the original music from Trent Reznor on it. I find it strange that they aren't on the Steam version though, Trent Reznor is usually pretty lax about royalties and such, at least more lax than other artists.
There's a perfectly straightforward reason for this.
The original Quake (and Quake II?) stored the music as audio tracks on the CD, and each level just played a particular CD track. You could drop in your own audio CD and it would play that music instead. (Likewise, you can stick the Quake disc in a CD player and listen to the music.)
I guess it wasn't worth id Software's time to modify the game for release on Steam.

I'm pretty sure most of 3rd party the source ports would have MP3/OGG support.

It's certainly not hard to get your hands on the music; there are even links to CD images on the Steam forums themselves.

Kagato said:
second exodous said:
quadomatic said:
There's a perfectly straightforward reason for this.
The original Quake (and Quake II?) stored the music as audio tracks on the CD, and each level just played a particular CD track. You could drop in your own audio CD and it would play that music instead. (Likewise, you can stick the Quake disc in a CD player and listen to the music.)
I guess it wasn't worth id Software's time to modify the game for release on Steam.

I'm pretty sure most of 3rd party the source ports would have MP3/OGG support.

It's certainly not hard to get your hands on the music; there are even links to CD images on the Steam forums themselves
Ah, I wouldn't think it was Trent Reznor's doing, that makes more sense. I really really liked the music from Quake, Quake II I can't really remember, but I have it covered anyway, I have both Quake 1 and 2 on CD.

Back