6 gigs compressed down to 60mb???

deanollive

I ripped the returner the other day (If u havent seen returner then do so its great) well anyway, I begun ripping by using lightning decrypter: this produced about 5 1.5 gig files or something then I ripped the sound file as a seperate.......
right then I somehow used VDUB and made an 800MB file or larger (WITHOUT changing the framerate) I then recompressed with VDUB (WITH framrate decimation)

Basically the end result was the WHOLE of RETURNER - the lengthy credits on 1 64MB SMC?????

Fair enough the sound was terrible for speech (Who cares it was in Jap anyway LOL) all the guns and explosions sound cool though

I was wandering if anyone had a more professional guide to this type of encoding (DVD to GP32)??? Would be greatly appreciated as my random compressions sometimes go haywire and waste 15mins of my time + huge space on my HD (I know I delete it all anyway) but a good guide will save me some stress :eek:)

Cheers guys if you can help

C3

Thanks RR4, that tutorial was like the one I used b4 to get my lovely settings....... But all the times given are a bit too long for my liking......

I mean the compression of returner only took me about an hour and half on a 2 ghz p4???? Maybe even less time????

I noticed that the tutorial u directed me to uses the "second pass"????

Do you know what the second pass is and what it actually does to the file size and quality?????

Thanks for the tutorial anyhow, its great to have a hard copy of the steps rather than guessing

:eek:)

C3

I ripped the returner the other day (If u havent seen returner then do so its great) well anyway, I begun ripping by using lightning decrypter:  this produced about 5 1.5 gig files or something then I ripped the sound file as a seperate.......
right then I somehow used VDUB and made an 800MB file or larger (WITHOUT changing the framerate)  I then recompressed with VDUB (WITH framrate decimation)

Basically the end result was the WHOLE of RETURNER - the lengthy credits on 1 64MB SMC?????

Fair enough the sound was terrible for speech (Who cares it was in Jap anyway LOL) all the guns and explosions sound cool though

I was wandering if anyone had a more professional guide to this type of encoding (DVD to GP32)??? Would be greatly appreciated as my random compressions sometimes go haywire and waste 15mins of my time + huge space on my HD (I know I delete it all anyway) but a good guide will save me some stress  :eek:)

Cheers guys if you can help

C3
Why the h*ll did you encode it 4+ times?? The maximum number of times should be 2, ripping a DVD, excluding 2-pass (or counting that as one). And BTW, I don't mean to brag but I compressed Matrix Reloaded to 90 megs, XviD, 10FPS, 128 bitrate and I think sound was 4KBps stereo. So that just shows how great video is on the GP32, which would currently be loads better than video on the Zodiac (my biggest complaint about that unit).

Last edited by a moderator:
nice 1 for the links and info for 2 pass encoding...

And darkgod I didnt intend this post as a brag but more of a "how do I do this" sorry if you felt that I was bragging probally my bad wording.

But thankyou all for your info about ecoding, Darkgod: Sorry 1 more thing could You type a post describing your steps to whooping reloaded to 90 meg with 10fps and crisp sound (Do the action scenes hold up well)?

Cheers again

C3

nice 1 for the links and info for 2 pass encoding...

And darkgod I didnt intend this post as a brag but more of a "how do I do this" sorry if you felt that I was bragging probally my bad wording.

But thankyou all for your info about ecoding, Darkgod: Sorry 1 more thing could You type a post describing your steps to whooping reloaded to 90 meg with 10fps and crisp sound (Do the action scenes hold up well)?

Cheers again

C3
Sure, I'll try, but after school. And I didn't mean that YOUR post was bragging I was just saying that so no one would call MY post bragging, lol. So sorry for that misunderstanding. BTW I'm still wondering why you encoded 4+ times though, how long did that take you total? A day??

Last edited by a moderator:
hey darkgod Im not sure why i compress 4 times (I think in one of those VD compressions I dont actually do anything to the video setting)???
And, Im a bit puzzeled as to why the guides say 4-5 hours on a 2.4gig athalon!! WTF too long!
from ripping the DVD to being on my GP32 takes about an hour hour and half tops
I compress on a 2.2gig p4 with 256mb RAM Geforce 4
If I try to do it on my laptop at (233mhz p2 64mb RAM 4 meg vid card)!!
Then your looking at about a day! lol I think the rip from DVD will actually fill my whole hardisk! lol :eek:) ohhh well thats what beastly work pcs are for aren't they???

If you could type a small tutorial and send me your settings I would be ever so gratefull as its quite a pain when I forget and check the wrong box and my files dont load! :eek:(

Reloaded at 90 MB sweet! And the action looks crisp????

1 more sorry, does anyone know where I can get a CHEAP 128mb card as Ive been using a 64 for about 8 months (Hence my silly compression ratios)

Cheers

C3

Back