3G / 4G = Cell Phone or just Modem?

asdf334

Still Fresh
It's not possible to use this thing as a phone is it? (I'm referring to the hypothetical 3g/4g device)

Hey, we're cool.

Phone is possible :)

Finally need to make a picture with the prototype doing the great "phone pose" with Pyra on my ear :D.

Using the Pyra as a phone is possible and only needs software by the community, however, to write the software, the official documentation of the modems is needed. It is leaked for one of the two (the PLS8-E, but not for the PLS8-US). A problem about the leaked document is that software written with it could technically be illegal, I'm not entirely sure about that, and that it's a bit outdated (but that's not too bad). And of course software for the PLS8-US would be a lot harder to write with only one document.

I'm looking to get the two documents officially, so I could look into writing this software (and GPS/Glonass drivers), but I'm not entirely sure yet if this would exceed my skills. Of course, if it will, I'll look into giving someone else the documents or at least a way to get access to them.

Using the Pyra as a phone is possible and only needs software by the community, however, to write the software, the official documentation of the modems is needed. It is leaked for one of the two (the PLS8-E, but not for the PLS8-US). A problem about the leaked document is that software written with it could technically be illegal, I'm not entirely sure about that, and that it's a bit outdated (but that's not too bad). ...
Wouldn't the modem then be just dead meat?

Wouldn't the modem then be just dead meat?
First of all, that's only for the phone functions. Maybe I misused the term modem, nothing I said applies to the LTE functions, at least not to my knowledge. I hope the drivers for that can be written by ED/hns.
Second, kinda yes for the phone functionality if I understand the legal restrictions correctly. ED/hns could probably get the documents without any problem as they are direct customers of Gemalto, but if they don't have the time and money to write the drivers, it could get really hard to get working ones. The PLS8-E would have to hope on Gemalto not sueing for a few houndred illegal copies of a software using their documents, the PLS8-US would have to just try a lot AT commands to find the ones that work with the chip.

I'll see if I can PM ED on the weekend, right now there's probably enough going on with the preorders. Until then, I'm going to look into a few things on my own. But I'm sure there is a way, and as I said, worst case scenario is trying AT commands which just takes a lot longer.

First off, whether data or voice you still need the AT commands, they're what tell the modem how to connect to the towers, so without these documents the module is completely useless. Same with the GPS, you turn it on and off and change modes via AT commands.
That being said, it was a few months ago that ED mentioned they tested it, including voice, and everything worked. Presumably Nikolaus has the necessary documentation, made a dummy to wire it to a USB either on a PC or the prototype, and did some tests. I remember that explicitly, and have vague memories of one or the other saying the data driver already exists so we wouldn't have to worry about that, all we need figure out is the GPS and voice portions.
Worst case scenario, someone uses the leaked documents to do everything and puts them up on some file sharing service where ED is insulated from potential damages of questionably legal software.

So DIY solutions wouldn't be some scripts stuffing AT commands into the chip, but rather something employing Nikolaus' then well documented driver, which will then expose everything the chip could do to us (hopefully)?

https://www.amazon.com/Sony-VNCX1A-Mouse-Internet-Phone/dp/B000UCYH9S

Sony-Vaio-Mouse-Phone.jpg

Too bad if you need to use the mouse while talking on the phone... *rolls eyes* ('cause you know, no-one ever talks on the phone and uses the computer at the same time. ;) )

-Neelix

The guys and girls in support would quickly adapt, I'm sure. They'd learn to either move the mouse with the side of their heads or hold something plain and stiff against the mouse moving that and click with the hand from the other side reaching over.

Or the touchscreen.

Actually when you are walking and your Pyra ring it can be nice to have without having to open your Pyra, because when you are alone and you sit, you can turn on the speaker.

I have one of these. Asssuming bluetooth headset phone calls become a thing on the Pyra, I plan to keep it in my shirt pocket and use it as a phone handset. Yeah - it will look nearly as silly as using the Pyra, open, held to an ear.

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Bluetooth-Pocket-Talker-HM5000/dp/B0057WX864

Do I understand this right? The chip has voice call functionality, but the producer doesn't deliver a manual how to use it? What's the sense in this? Or are the AT-commands a secret?

No, common AT commands are not secret - it should be pretty trivial to send an SMS, receive the inbox, or set up a call. The chip may support more unusual commands, but I can't think of what they would do, or why they would be needed without seeing the docs or having a device using the chip in my possession.

Edit: I assume ED and possibly Nikalus have access to the documents under NDA, but the people in the community who might be involved in developing applications for it don't.

Yes, generally to get an NDA to sign you need an existing or concurrent business relationship with the other party. That business relationship generally costs money to establish.

Back