32mb

GiG

The mighty penguin cat
Website
www.webalice.it
I don't remember who managed to put 32MB of ram into a GP32, do you?

Mashmods refuse to make the 32MB mod, because there is not software supporting it, but I am pretty sure that someone made a replacement bios/fw to support all 32MBs.

If you remember who they are... we could contribute to revive this project, it would be amazing :lol:

DJWillis posted on May 5 2004 at 01:16 PM said:
Twinbee posted on May 5 2004 at 02:11 PM said:
Isn't there a version of Multifirmware that supports 32mb?
Yep, and a few test apps that can allocate 32MB
Yes but very few.
If apps don't follow, it's useless to make this mod. :)
Every app has to be rewritten.

Multifw 32 MO from Mr Spiv here : http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/jikorhon/conde...ultifw2_32m.zip

BUT DON'T FLASH A NORMAL GP32 (8 MO RAM) WITH THIS. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
its not to ahrd to make a programm support 32mb, but why should someone do this if only very less people can do tis mod? if somone would sell it and "evryone" can buy the mod iam sure that it will be supportet in some emulators.

Programs that work fine with 8Mb RAM do not have to be rewritten after the upgrade, they will still work regardless, but programs would have to be written to support the extra RAM if they need it. The best option would be for programmers to write in memory detection so that the extra RAM can be used if required, and then applications could run on both, but presumably would run better on 32Mb GPs.

EdCa22 posted on May 5 2004 at 02:33 PM said:
Programs that work fine with 8Mb RAM do not have to be rewritten after the upgrade, they will still work regardless, but programs would have to be written to support the extra RAM if they need it. The best option would be for programmers to write in memory detection so that the extra RAM can be used if required, and then applications could run on both, but presumably would run better on 32Mb GPs.
:blink:
I know that guy.
Thanx. ;)

Josquius posted on May 5 2004 at 04:03 PM said:
No programmes support it because it doesn't exist!
Yes it does exist... No main Programmes Support it Because only 1 or 2 people have 32MB Ram GP32's...

Why Stop at 32MB ?? Whats wrong with trying 64MB ??

Also If anyone wants to send me a Test GP32 (As in a GP32 that cant overclock, Buttons dont propperly Work or something) and the correct 32MB Ram Chip I will have a go at installing one :D

From looking at it, it doesnt look hard but I dont want to risk my Fully Working Overclockable GP32 on it... ;)

as soon as i can lay hands on a chip that's suitable, i'll (or rather me and my father) go for it :)
my father is very good at these kind of things, so it should be no problem :)
but can the modded gp32 work with a regular bios? or have you got to flash before the mod, and then hope it will work out?

Yeah here is the code posted on his web page:
unsigned char *pROM;
unsigned int nRomSize;
nRomSize = 4 * 1024 * 1024; /* get 4MB for ROM image */
pROM = (unsigned char *)gm_malloc( nRomSize );

to

#define GP32_BANKSIZE (*((unsigned int *)0x14000028))
unsigned char *pROM;
unsigned int nRomSize;
if ( ( GP32_BANKSIZE & 7) == 0)
{
nRomSize = 24 * 1024 * 1024; /* get 24MB for ROM image */
pROM = (unsigned char *)0x0c800000;
}
else
{
nRomSize = 4 * 1024 * 1024; /* get 4MB for ROM image */
pROM = (unsigned char *)gm_malloc( nRomSize );
}

What this does, is it checks the CPU's BANKSIZE register to see if the RAM memory bank is 32MB in size. If it is, then 24MB is allocated for ROMs. Otherwise, the standard amount of memory (4MB in the example) is allocated.

By doing this, you will make an emulator that will work on either 8MB or 32MB GP32s, and will automatically take advantage of the extra size when it is available!

If FGen, Giga Drive, or OpenSnes9x could be used on 8mb and 32mb GP32s Mash might change his mind. ;)

EdCa22 posted on May 5 2004 at 02:33 PM said:

What happens if you write a program which goes malloc(24*1024*1024); on a 32Mb GP32?

Does it simply not work then?

Dave is eavesdropping!
32MB mod would open a lot of doors in the world of GP32 software: Mashmods could make this possible, but we must show our interest in it.
It is false that 32MB mod is totally unsupported (Dave, are you listening?), read this from Cobbleware

"03-Nov-03
Mr. Spiv has enhanced the 32MB bios, adding MMU setup to make it super-easy to use the extra memory! I've updated the 32MB RAM Upgrade section with the new details"

Voila'!

The details are here

http://cobbleware.com/gp32/gp32ram.html

From Cobbleware
"My conclusions from the exercise are:
the 32MB works perfectly.
..."

I hope the guy(s) at Mashmods will add this mod to their mods list.

P.S.: ah, sorry, thank you frolik!

it's a bad thing if you wont be using it anyway, Rob says on his website that it decreases battery life by 20% or something like that

GiG posted on May 5 2004 at 10:52 PM said:
Imagine a perfect world, where GP32s are all BLU, run at 170Mhz, have 32MBs of ram and have a glass screen...    ;)
No, A perfect world would be where GP32's were all BLU, Run at 2GHZ and have 1GB DDR Ram, a Built in Geforce 6800 Ultra and a 100GB micro Harddrive all powered by 2 AA Batteries with a run time of 6 hours at 2 GHZ :D

Steve-O posted on May 6 2004 at 01:11 PM said:
GiG posted on May 5 2004 at 10:52 PM said:
Imagine a perfect world, where GP32s are all BLU, run at 170Mhz, have 32MBs of ram and have a glass screen...    ;)
No, A perfect world would be where GP32's were all BLU, Run at 2GHZ and have 1GB DDR Ram, a Built in Geforce 6800 Ultra and a 100GB micro Harddrive all powered by 2 AA Batteries with a run time of 6 hours at 2 GHZ :D
we really have different ideas of the perfect world ;)

Back