£30 Sound Too Cheap For A 4gb Pro Duo?

Steve-O

Does £30 seem too cheap for a 4GB pro duo card??? Thinking of selling one of my 128mb Smart media cards for £30 and getting a 4gb Pro Duo for the PSP...

Good thing with Ebay is that if it is a Fake you can get your money back via paypal (and keep the item if the seller doesnt respond to you :) )

the Seller that Im going to use has 100% feedback with over 1,000 sales and has PayPal Buyer protection of £500 so im guessing that these could be real.

Steve-O posted on Mar 2 2007 at 01:52 PM said:
Does £30 seem too cheap for a 4GB pro duo card??? Thinking of selling one of my 128mb Smart media cards for £30 and getting a 4gb Pro Duo for the PSP...

Good thing with Ebay is that if it is a Fake you can get your money back via paypal (and keep the item if the seller doesnt respond to you :) )

the Seller that Im going to use has 100% feedback with over 1,000 sales and has PayPal Buyer protection of £500 so im guessing that these could be real.
yes, it's a fake

Last edited by a moderator:
I know someone who bought a 4GB Pro duo off ebay for £25, and that seemed real enough. He told me "It doesn't format to 4GB, but it's way over 3GB, and I've got over 3GB of 'files' on there". From that, he probably means 3.7GB or whatever (ie the standard con from all storage manufacturers).

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 2 2007 at 04:02 PM said:
yes, it's a fake

I agree with DCGM. I recently bought a 2 gig card off of ebay for about 30 USD; it is indeed a fake from China, but it works great, so no complaints here.

Only difference I notice between my real card and the fake one has to do with transferring files to the card via my psp; it takes roughly double the time to put files on this card as opposed to the authentic one. Still, it was a great deal and I don't regret purchasing one (every app, emu and game plays great on it).

screw it, I just hit buy it now :)... I did random clicks on 7 pages of his feedback and it was all 2gb and 4gb Pro duos that he has sold all with 100% happy customers with no problems...

Even if their is a problem with it being fake Im covered by Ebay and Paypal

Steve-O posted on Mar 2 2007 at 10:14 PM said:
screw it, I just hit buy it now :)... I did random clicks on 7 pages of his feedback and it was all 2gb and 4gb Pro duos that he has sold all with 100% happy customers with no problems...

Heh, I like your style :)

A lot of people seem to go down the route of "Who cares if it's fake if it works ok?". I wonder which one you'll choose if it's fake... Paypal/Ebay complaint, or screw it, it's good enough? ;)

Squidge posted on Mar 2 2007 at 06:15 PM said:

A lot of people seem to go down the route of "Who cares if it's fake if it works ok?". I wonder which one you'll choose if it's fake... Paypal/Ebay complaint, or screw it, it's good enough? ;)
Well, there are all degrees of fakes. There are the fakes that work but are slightly crappy- and there are fakes that are advertised as being 2 gigs (for example), but are really 1 gig (or less!). Sometimes you'll be REALLY lucky and get one that's not the advertised size AND falls apart/wont fit in slot

;) lol

Squidge posted on Mar 2 2007 at 11:15 PM said:

hehe :)

If its fake I will file a PayPal complaint and hope they dont respond so I get the money back and keep the card as it might work fine but after a month it might just die on me :( ... Did that with a steering wheel I won for £35 (after waiting for 15 or so days for it to arrive I made a PayPal complaint and got £22 back (the money left in his account) then the next day it arrived. After 2 or 3 emails to him asking him to set a payment request up for the £22 so I could send the money back to him I got no reply so just kept the money and wheel... Not my problem if he couldnt be bothered getting back to my messages :) )

Dang it, I wish this thread was up long ago. I bought 3, 4gb sd cards. ALL fake. ALL from the same buyer. They ALL said 4gb, but a month later, I found out it was only 1 gb T^T. I went back to complain, but the seller had already closed his account. I'm darn mad, but now I can't do anything about it. 1 gb sd cards are like pennies these days.

i have a fake 2gb pro duo, and i have never had any problems with it :) at first i was pissed off then i realised it was cheap and well it does it's job.

sensible GP32 posted on Mar 6 2007 at 05:13 PM said:
i have a fake 2gb pro duo, and i have never had any problems with it :) at first i was pissed off then i realised it was cheap and well it does it's job.
A lot of people say that. Then they try to load some data to a camera or PSP 6 months later, and it doesn't work anymore.

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Mar 6 2007 at 11:18 PM said:
sensible GP32 posted on Mar 6 2007 at 05:13 PM said:
A lot of people say that. Then they try to load some data to a camera or PSP 6 months later, and it doesn't work anymore.

I think all my cards are fakes, and I've had two go kaput after a couple of months.

The first one was a couple of years ago and twas expensive!

well, received it this morning and I think its a Fake..

6 bits of glue holding the packaging together, Packaging feels a little thin BUT it does have a Sony Hologram on it...
Now to the Card, it formats to 3836mb and I transfered 3.7gb of videos to it in 22 minutes (is 22mins fast for 3.7gb of data going to a Pro Duo card inside a PSP??) all videos work fine on it. Also On the PSP it says "Magicgate Unsupported" where as my official PSP card says Supported. The Printing on the 4gb one and my official card looks identical, maybe the fake card producers are getting hold of genuine faulty memory cards and using the cards case for the fake internals??

anyway, its working fine and for £30 (Compaired to the £80+ Shop price) it will do. Will put a complain in if the card dies on me :)

Steve-O posted on Mar 7 2007 at 02:04 PM said:
well, received it this morning and I think its a Fake..

6 bits of glue holding the packaging together, Packaging feels a little thin BUT it does have a Sony Hologram on it...
Now to the Card, it formats to 3836mb and I transfered 3.7gb of videos to it in 22 minutes (is 22mins fast for 3.7gb of data going to a Pro Duo card inside a PSP??) all videos work fine on it. Also On the PSP it says "Magicgate Unsupported" where as my official PSP card says Supported. The Printing on the 4gb one and my official card looks identical, maybe the fake card producers are getting hold of genuine faulty memory cards and using the cards case for the fake internals??

anyway, its working fine and for £30 (Compaired to the £80+ Shop price) it will do. Will put a complain in if the card dies on me :)
The link i provided above illustrates that sony holograms are easily faked now. Most sony style stores have a special machine you can use that detects fakes.

Also, the magicgate issue basically means that it is indeed a fake.

Steve-O, give the guy neg feedback, to warn other ebayers that the card is fake, if anything, we could do with more of those.

Nova posted on Mar 8 2007 at 12:18 AM said:
Steve-O, give the guy neg feedback, to warn other ebayers that the card is fake, if anything, we could do with more of those.

Only thing is, If I leave him a Negative, He will leave me a Negative... Thats the Shit thing about Ebay :(...

Think I will give it a week or 2 and see how it goes with the card

Im guessing these fakes are better quality than the first fakes anyway as it feels just as solid as the real thing..

Steve-O posted on Mar 8 2007 at 01:44 PM said:
Nova posted on Mar 8 2007 at 12:18 AM said:

Only thing is, If I leave him a Negative, He will leave me a Negative... Thats the Shit thing about Ebay :( ...

Think I will give it a week or 2 and see how it goes with the card

Im guessing these fakes are better quality than the first fakes anyway as it feels just as solid as the real thing..

Then you can dispute it with ebay and they'll remove it :)

Back