2xwargus: Warcraft 2 Engine Re-implementation

Adventus

GP Mania
Hiya,

2xwargus224zx5.jpg

Here's the 1st beta of my Wargus port (could someone please File Archive it):

http://host-a.net/Adventus/2xWargus_PB1.2.zip

Changelog Public Beta 1.2:
- No longer saves anything to NAND.... i mean it this time.
- Added Command Selector for keymap 0 (Vol +/-, A and Y).
- Made cursor movement independant of fps (via Delta time). Should fix fast menu movement, slow game movement, etc. Unfortunately if you encounter some major slowdown (occurs occasionally) it may jump around a bit.
- Adjusted default commandline arguments. Too fast for some.
- Fixed Some UI elements (Added Mana... Removed XP)
- Recompiled. Smaller filesize, maybe a little bit smoother.
- Added Gmenu icon. Thanks Gruso.

To conserve cpu I removed Sound & Networking. It's pretty much full speed, but understandedly slows down when you get >100 units. The port isnt perfect, i had to do a whole lot of boring UI redesigning..... i still havent decided where to put the mana bar. It also has a strange screen flicker at completely random moments..... I'm not sure if i've fixed it.

Anyway Please read the readme, its a little bit complicated to install.... i have tried to simplify it as much as possible though. Ill upload the source at some time soon.

EDIT: Updated to PB1.1 (bug fixed)

You guys wouldn't believe how well this game plays on a 2400bps modem.. Me and my friend played about a zillion hours of this when it first came out. I cant wait to try this! Thanks for your work!

Ok, I've tinkered a little. Well done on putting together nice, clear instructions in the readme. There are a couple of downloads and a couple of steps, but if folks follow them to a tee they should have it firing up first go.

Unfortunately I've hit a wall, I get the title screen (with some interesting CGA-style colouring), then it quits back to Gmenu2x after sitting idle for ~10 seconds. If I press certain buttons (Home, B, L/R shoudlers) it quits immediately.

[update] I noticed that every whenever it exits, image file names can briefly be seen cycling through at the bottom. It always pauses at "magnifying_glass.png" before crashing. Here's the screen if it's any help (man I love Gshot!):

shot140000qn9.png

I'm a little out of my depth here, but I took a stab at it being a corrupt file. I replaced it with another cursor (naming it the same), but no love.

As for the weird colouring, I checked the images on my PC and they're normal there (so I figure it's not something ImageMajick did - it's only happening on the GP2X).

I'm on an F200 running firmware 4.0.0.

A bit of a bummer for now, but it's past my bedtime anyway. Great to see this in action, and looking forward to more progress. :)

Lastly, here's a program icon:
2xwargus224yf9.png

[edit] @ Pickle: F100 is supported, controls are detailed in the readme.

After failing a few times, I finally got it to work. :D

Runs pretty smoothly... too bad there is no sound. I wouldn't mind if there is no music, but I like to hear sound effects. :p

Awesome work! Hope this gets further optimized.

ok problem solved!!! it was imagemagick not actually running with the .bat file and it didnt reduce the size at all. to fix this i reinstalled and ticked

update executable search path & associate supported file extensions with imagemagick

the game now runs and is no longer looking like some weird cga graphics

hope this helps others who have this problem

Mutilator said:
ok problem solved!!! it was imagemagick not actually running with the .bat file and it didnt reduce the size at all. to fix this i reinstalled and ticked

update executable search path & associate supported file extensions with imagemagick

Nice one! I actually came back to post that I'd solved the crashing problem by manually resizing that particular icon. I read the txt output file (just like the readme told me to...) and saw this:

CODE
Invalid graphic (width, height) ui/cursors/magnifying_glass.png
Expected: (17,18) Found: (23,35)
I found the file and resized to 17x18 and voila! The game loaded. After reading your post though, I'll toddle off and run the batch file again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
Im surprised that with the graphics being loaded to the upper 32 meg that the MMU hack hasnt been applied, that may give some performance gains.
Yeah, that's puzzling me too. I noticed that it was looking for it, but was not included in the zip file. It seems to run okay, but indeed slows down a bit after playing awhile (due to having more units).

Can any mmuhack.o work, or is it a specific one?

Gruso said:
Mutilator said:

Nice one! I actually came back to post that I'd solved the crashing problem by manually resizing that particular icon. I read the txt output file (just like the readme told me to...) and saw this:

CODE
Invalid graphic (width, height) ui/cursors/magnifying_glass.png
Expected: (17,18) Found: (23,35)
I found the file and resized to 17x18 and voila! The game loaded. After reading your post though, I'll toddle off and run the batch file again.

I had this problem in the Windows version... it annoyingly wants a graphic file to be in a different resolution.

In my case, it wanted a 17x17 for the PNG font, but the original file was 195x196! So the result was, it finally played, but the font being displayed was broken.

Now for the GP2X, at first, my problem was similar to your initial post, except for the CGA graphics as I got that to work correctly. Strangely though, after experimenting and redoing everything, it just worked. :eek:

Manjuu said:
All of the mmuhack.o should be the same, you should be able to copy it from something else, if you dont have one I have it in my releases for wolf4sdl and dosbox.

Success! I re-installed ImageMajick, making sure that these were ticked:

- update executable search path
- associate supported file extensions with imagemagick

...then ran the batch file again. Thanks for the tip Mutilator.

It looks beautiful and runs super fast. Thanks Adventus, great work. I'd luuurve to have sound in a future release. ;)

Now, I'm going to bed. But I'm taking Warcraft with me.

Pickle said:
Manjuu said:
All of the mmuhack.o should be the same, you should be able to copy it from something else, if you dont have one I have it in my releases for wolf4sdl and dosbox.

I actually already tried adding one, and coincidentally enough, it was from your dosbox. :lol:

Manjuu said:
Pickle said:
Manjuu said:

I actually already tried adding one, and coincidentally enough, it was from your dosbox. :lol:
Can you see a performance increase? Is everyone running at 200 Mhz, maybe a small boost will make a difference?

Pickle said:
Manjuu said:
[...]

Can you see a performance increase? Is everyone running at 200 Mhz, maybe a small boost will make a difference?

Not sure... I haven't played enough to tell the difference. I'm running it at 200 MHz, and it's running very smoothly at the start of a map... it only started to slow a bit when there was a lot of units on-screen.

Haya, Nice to see you guys fixed it for yourselves. Good Work.

Install process especialy
Hmmm, The only way sound will get included is if the 940t can be used with a low bitrate format.

Install process especialy
Yea, I actually finished the programming about a week ago.... getting a decent install process was the hard bit, especially when all the batch image programs seem to handle png's differently. If anyone has any suggestions....

Im surprised that with the graphics being loaded to the upper 32 meg that the MMU hack hasnt been applied, that may give some performance gains.
Since all the surfaces in the upper 32mb are being rendered with the hardware Blitter, i was under the impression that the MMU hack wouldn't do anything? Also it would require a flush before any rendering is required.... which is hard to detect in the programming model.

I did initially program the MMUhack in, but found no performance improvement. So if you want to give it a try, any MMU hack file will work, just place it in the folder with 2xWargus224.gpe.

Anyway, can someone confirm if they've noticed a screen flicker?

Back