18/10+19/10 firmware updates: breaking compatibility (mistake?)

sepulep

I really appreciate the work done on updating the firmware, but the latest feed update is giving me a lot of trouble...

about 1/3th  of the PND is not working either not running or crashing the system..I am not complaining (after all there

is a warning on the incremental update post..),  but I do want to warn other people against rushing the upgrade and

I do question the wisdom of breaking the compatibility of existing PNDs. This quote from the changelog

This may break some PNDs (mostly because of glib ABI changes, thosePNDs will have to be recompiled), but will allow ports of new software.
I think is very problematic. I think most broken non-compatible PNDs are not going to recompiled or it will take very long - in the meantime

you have this unholy mess of PNDs working with one or the other firmware.

update: most of the PND problems were probably related to the sgx driver (which is a bit strange, since I didn't change it), the lib issue seems to be

very rare, so this is mostly a non issue..

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly only one out of all the PNDS on my SD card have broke and that was Diakatana and I have a lot of PNDs on my SD cards. Are you sure this isn't another issue?

I have had the following failes:

jumanji

Boson-X

aquaventure

rRootage

SNES9x EX+

GLQuake-ES

Frogatto

(and some more I may have forgotten)

nothing changed except a system upgrade..

Well I don't have all of these on my SD card, but:
- GLQuake-ES (kind of works for me, doesn't suffer the glibc issue, but has an issue that it's in small FB window, I had this issue on older firmware version)
- Frogatto (works, no issues)
- SNES9x EX+ ( says version is 1.5.19 ) seems to work for me.

Edit: Just FYI, I did a network OS update not a full reflash. 

I have had the following failes:

jumanji

Boson-X

aquaventure

rRootage

SNES9x EX+

GLQuake-ES

Frogatto

(and some more I may have forgotten)
Most of those are because 3D driver sometimes doesn't like to be reloaded (which happens as part of the update), just reboot and it should be fine.

It's the case with every OS.. Some changes sometimes need to be made to improve the performance or compatibility.. Therefore there may be some mess left behind by breaking some PNDs.

This was always going to be the case with .next.

rebooted a lot, not all of them voluntarily :(   in any case, it looks like I have more breakage than can be explained by the lib issue

going to see if I can fix it with 3D driver change..never touched the 3D driver though..will report back..

rebooted a lot, not all of them voluntarily :(   in any case, it looks like I have more breakage than can be explained by the lib issue

going to see if I can fix it with 3D driver change..never touched the 3D driver though..will report back..
If you have a gigahertz model, I suggest you use SGX driver PND to manually switch to 4.03.00.02 version

If you have a gigahertz model, I suggest you use SGX driver PND to manually switch to 4.03.00.02 version
Okay this makes sense why everything worked on my end.. before testing I swapped from the 4.10 driver back to the 4.03.00.02 driver using the SGX changing PND.

Most of those are because 3D driver sometimes doesn't like to be reloaded (which happens as part of the update), just reboot and it should befine.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-2855-1380194308-6.gif

This is just a little glimpse of how thing will be if Pyra won't work with PNDs when it's out ;)

So, PND support out of the box for PYRA is of paramount importance.  The number of sale can significantly reduce if PND is not supported the very first day.

This is just a little glim of how thing will be if Pyra won't work with PNDs when it's out ;)

So, PND support out of the box for PYRA is of paramount importance.  The number of sale can significantly reduce if PND is not supported the very first day.
If the Pyra has its own repository, you don't really need PND support from day 0.

This is just a little glim of how thing will be if Pyra won't work with PNDs when it's out ;)

If the Pyra has its own repository, you don't really need PND support from day 0.
So you're saying all the current PNDs will be recompiled, and that a new repository will be created to hold these for Pyra before it is released?

So you're saying all the current PNDs will be recompiled, and that a new repository will be created to hold these for Pyra before it is released?

Well we need to know if we are going to still have PNDs with the Pyra or something new. Most PNDs will be binary incompatible to the Pyra as it will use hardfloat libraries vs the softfloat with the Pandora. So either a compatibility layer will need to be made or we just recompile everything.. Both could be possible before launch as we still have most of the porters here in the community.

Anyway, most ports may benefit from some kind of recompilation and adaptation to the Pyra, to take advantage of new gamekeys and bigger screensize at least (not to speak about taking advantage of multicore or other things).

I'd imagine that some sort of Ginge-a-like compatibility thing would be possible to enable a large amount of non-working PNDs at launch - there's going to be a few that won't work come what may though. I'm not worrying about it; I'm ready to re-build all four of mine when I get a Pyra in my hands :)

D.

Back