10 tb

That 10TB drive would have a real density (packaging included) of around 26MB per cubic mm.  Fairly impressive... but...

The recent SanDisk 200GB microSD card has a real density (packaging included) of around 1.2GB per cubic mm.

There really isn't any technical reason why there cannot be a 10TB SSD drive in a 3.5" drive form factor.  It would simply be incredibly expensive.

Eventually we'll use SSD for everything.  The HDD is bound for the same obsolescence as tape drives and floppy disks - magnetic media in motion.  These bumps up in capacity is all that is keeping spinning media relevant.

That 10TB drive would have a real density (packaging included) of around 26MB per cubic mm.  Fairly impressive... but...

The recent SanDisk 200GB microSD card has a real density (packaging included) of around 1.2GB per cubic mm.

There really isn't any technical reason why there cannot be a 10TB SSD drive in a 3.5" drive form factor.  It would simply be incredibly expensive.

Eventually we'll use SSD for everything.  The HDD is bound for the same obsolescence as tape drives and floppy disks - magnetic media in motion.  These bumps up in capacity is all that is keeping spinning media relevant.

In my opinion HDD is an old technology and I see a bright future fore flash storage.

posting naked links
I hovered over it, seemed interesting, and save, so I clicked it. Also looked at who posted, a regular user, so.... uhm... what point was I making?

edit:

meh... still 0,01 petabyte. A few years ago, there was this article about the holocube, a transparent cube with stuff in a grid, written to with lasers (and read back with a softer laser). They promised a petabyte in a cube as big as a dice... but the wiki says its still not out yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
<pedantry>

Ten tonne-bits? Whats that supposed to mean?

</pedantry>

I wish HVD Recordable had actually arrived way back when they were announced. Would have made my backups a lot tidier by now if they had.

I've just noticed there are now BDR-XL discs out there.  Three layer, but somehow storing more than the standard 25GB per layer to total 100GB.

Hmm, does look like a properly new format, incompatible with existing blu-ray drives.  Prices seem to be approaching reasonable levels, although 50GB (dual layer) BDR discs are still cheaper per GB.

There are plenty of hard discs out there with comparatively small SSD's built in, designed to cache frequently used stuff on the magnetic portion.  Is that what you mean, or is an SSHDD something else?

On the subject of the future of HDDs/SSDs, I agree that SSDs will replace HDDs in almost all circumstances eventually, but it's occurred to me that using a HDD as long-term backup is more sensible than using an SSD.  Flash memory is pretty damn resiliant, but eventually current leakage will kill it.  But magnetic media doesn't degrade unless moved through a magnetic field (or mechanically mangled so the platters can't spin), so theoretically should keep it's data until it's destroyed in an earthquake, or until the earth's magnetic field has flipped a few times I guess.

Back